Chapter 2 - The Beginning

My hands shook as they held the diary, even though it did not weigh so much.

I found two things really weird at that moment. One being, that what was the diary doing there? And the second that how did I know it was there?

The dream of course. But something deep inside my heart was telling me that it wasn't only just a dream. That it contained a big part of reality.

Goosebumps were formed on my arms, as all my arm hair stood up from the fear. 

What was this happening? Just yesterday I was living an ordinary life and now?

I don't know what I was waiting for, but as a few more moments passed I kept staring at the diary, my hands shaking and my body sweating.

I took a deep breath and forced myself to open up the diary. The first page was filled with a beautiful writing which could without a doubt only belong to someone as beautiful as Evelyn. It read :

"Dear Archer,
This diary is for an important reason. It has its importance, so for starters I request you to keep it safe. I hope that you can do it for me, I was your neighbor after all. Now, you must be wondering what this diary is about? How did it get there? So many questions must be flooding your mind right now Archer. And I understand that. But I have another request. I want you to open and read each page of the diary, on the given time and day at the page before it. As long as you do that, I assure you some adventure. Trust me Archer, you won't regret this. It'll be all good. All good except for the part that when you get this, I'll be gone forever

Love, Eve."

I took deep breathes trying to calm himself down. It was all normal, he kept telling himself but he himself knew it was far from being normal.

At the end of the page, there was a date and time written. It read 9th of august, 2015. 6:00. 

I tried to remember what date it was, and realized that today it was ninth of august itself, just that it wasn't six'o clock yet.

Archer glanced at the clock and it read five past four. Almost two more hours. He closed the diary as he got out of his bed, placing it back in the drawer.

"If you want to play the game Evelyn" He muttered to himself "We'll play it your way this time"

Walking out of his room he realized that it was mostly silent now and the living room has been cleared except for one other person. There was Marilyn sitting their now.

Marilyn Brown. She had black wide curly hairs that never seemed to be tamed down. Her skin color was light brown, and that shade of color really suited her. She was Evelyn's best friend. She was almost as popular as Evelyn and it was said that they were together since their childhood and were inseparable. Well they were separated now, weren't they? Life plays funny games sometimes.

"Archer" She said as she saw me walk into the room and stood up, enveloping me in a tight hug as if we ourselves were best of friends for years now. 

"Archer. What do you know?" She asked suddenly, getting out of the hug but still holding my arms with her hands, her grip tight.

"What do you mean?" I asked, even though I knew exactly what she meant.

"What do you know about Evelyns suicide" She said clearly this time.

I shrugged. "Why does everyone keep thinking I know something about it?" I asked

"Because, you were the last person who she talked to me about before she was gone" She said, on the verge of crying.

"What?" I said, as if I was accused of something that wasn't true.

"She just talked about you. Asked me what sort of a person you were. I laughed it off saying you're his neighbor, you ll know more" She said quickly, her voice barely a whisper. "I know something is going on Archer, I know you are related to it. And you need to spit it out" She suddenly seemed angry.

"I have no idea what you're saying Marilyn" I said, finally getting out of her tight grip.

Then she took a deep breath as she closed her eyes and when she opened her eyes again, which were red because of crying I could tell she was trying to push her anger away.

"I'm sorry. I just, I just don't know what to do. I don't know what I'm doing right now like Evelyn is gone and-" She started but I cut her off.

"I understand you" I muttered lowly.

I was never the type to talk a lot, or talk out loud as a matter of fact.

"Please" She said with a pleading look in her eyes "If you find out anything about Evelyn, can you please let me know? I beg you" 

I nodded "I will, Marilyn. I will"

I would be lying if I would say that the thought of telling her about the diary even crossed my mind for a second. Because it didn't. 

"Do you want me to drop you home?" I asked her. I wanted her to leave and I was hoping that she would take the hint.

"Oh no, I bought my car. Thanks though. I will probably and hopefully see you again soon Archer, bye" She said and I nodded. She nodded back before leaving.

Time was passing really slow for me, as I forced myself to move upstairs and play some games on my console just for the time to pass quicker. My parents weren't home apparently. I was guessing they were  probably with Evelyn's parents now.

Finally, the clock hit six and I rushed to the drawer of my room where the diary was kept safe under all my books and journals. My hands hastily flipped the pages of the diary, finally finding the right one. It read, and I quote.

"Dear Archer,

I hope you are opening this at the mentioned date and time. If you're not, this is seriously going to be no fun. And I honestly expect you as the fun kind. I know you seem dull to most people, since you never talk and everything. But to me, you seem fun. In the most honest and non-offensive ways, I swear. Now, since this is just the beginning of our journey that I am talking you on this letter is only to inform you --- more like request you -- to read the book that I have left under the sheet of your bed. Read it, and trust me it will get you somewhere. Maybe not where you are expecting yourself to go, but it will get you somewhere. Do it, yeah? Do it for your neighbor. Do it for your neighbor who is now gone
Love, Eve."

Archer was breathing fast again. Evelyn was no average girl. There was one question that was bothering him a lot.

Why would she pick him? Archer? Out of all the people that she knew --- which was a lot, since she was really popular --- she picked him? What for? They never talked before. They shared only three out of seven classes together. Hardly went to each other houses. Still him?

Pushing the questions in the back of his mind he moved towards the bed that he has been sleeping on for eight years now, as he raised the sheets to find exactly what he expected to.

It was Paper Towns by John Green. It was a suspense novel apparently. He held it in his hand and realized that there was no way this book was his, he never bought it and he's sure his parents didn't for him either.

And right there and then he realized something that was obvious way way before. But the realization set on him, as a shiver ran down his spine once again. It was obvious now.

Evelyn Mosby was in his room before she was gone.