Chapter 10 - Birthday Call

She's standing right next to me. We are standing shoulder to shoulder on the top floor of a building that is completely made of glass as we stare out of the window wall.

"What are you most afraid of?" Her deep husky voice asked me.

"To never getting what I've always wanted" I answered without thinking. It just came out.

"To get what you want Archer" She said as she looked at me now instead of looking out of the building "You have to be confident. If you're scared of heights, then take a fall. If you're scared of voicing out, scream and shout"

"What are you scared of?" I asked her.

"Feelings" She muttered "I was so scared of feelings that I became numb" She smiled sadly.

"Confidence is the key huh?" I asked her, now I was looking at her too.

"Confidence is the key" She confirmed.

"You know I am not real right?" She asked suddenly.

"I know Evelyn. This is a dream" I smiled sadly.

Suddenly, an idea came to my mind.

"Evelyn" I said looking at her "Can I have the dance?" I asked.

"I don't mind Archer. But it's time for me to go now" She said as she started walking backwards, still facing me.

"Don't go" I pleaded but she kept walking.

"I can't control this" She informed me and I was about to warn her that she was going to hit the glass wall if she didn't stop but it was too late.

She walked straight into the wall and she was gone.

I woke up once again from a dream about her, but this time I wasn't sweating. This was a positive dream, way better than all the others I've had.

I glanced at the clock to realize that it was thirty minutes past five in the morning. The sun still wasn't properly out yet. Below the time, it read the date of today.

Seventeenth of August. Eighteen years ago on this day, my parents were gifted with a boy who they thought would grow up simply to become a doctor or a lawyer maybe. But neither them, nor any one expected that when my eighteenth birthday would arrive, I would be solving a mystery of a gone girl.

I picked up my phone to notice there were a few missed calls and texts wishing me happy birthday. Ignoring them now I forced myself to sleep again but sleep wouldn't come to me now after the dream.

Laying in my bed I thought about the novel paper towns -- the one that she made me read. I could easily relate Margo with Evelyn. The adventurous and fun loving person Margo was, Evelyn was similar to that.

I wondered why would Evelyn make me read the book though. What was it hinting at? Was it hinting at the fact that I needed help of Marilyn? Because in the book, Quintein takes his friends help to find Margo alive.

There were only so many possibilities.

And the rest of my time was spent thinking about all the possibilities. When I peeked out of the window again the sun was out, and it's rays were starting to illuminate the room as I pulled the curtains aside.

"Happy birthday to me" I muttered, as I continued to look out for a few minutes before mom called for me downstairs. 

It was lucky it was Sunday today so I had no school today. I could just stay in and enjoy my birthday by myself.