Chapter 6 - The Deal

We already lost two lives already. And I was really truly hoping that we weren't about to lose another one. Even though Evelyn didn't give any time limit for us to meet Ben this time, there was always a possibility.

To be honest, I was scared shit about it this time.

After me and Harry had solved the riddle we discussed if we should go to his house or meet him in the college tomorrow. And since we had no idea where he lived, we decided to wait till tomorrow. 

Around midnight, when I was trying to sleep but could not due to all the stuff going in my mind, my phone started buzzing.

I looked at the caller id to see it was Harry.

"Hello?" I said into the phone, noticing that it was around three am.

"You know Archer" He started "You want to meet Ben Radar tomorrow. I do too. But you do more of course" 

Where was he getting at with this?

"What I mean is, sleep" He said into phone and I sighed.

"What do you mean? That's what I was doing" I lied.

This time he was the one who sighed, clearly aware of the fact that I wasn't being completely honest with him, or honest at all even.

"I know that this all means everything to you Archer. I know how badly you've always wanted to be close to Evelyn and this is your chance. Even though she is gone, you feel close to her. I understand it" He said and it was like he could read my mind. 

"But it's better if you sleep. Who knows what's coming tomorrow with everything going on? sleep, and gather the strength" He said and I smiled.

I stopped smiling when a question came to my mind.

"What are you doing awake then?" I asked him.

"I was asleep actually" He admitted. "But then I woke up to realize that you must not be asleep. Weird I know, but whatever" I could feel him smiling.

"Night" I said.

"Goodnight" He said as I ended the call.

He was right, I needed sleep.

Waking up in the morning, I realized I was late. I rushed to get out of the bed as I took a quick shower and wore my bag walking downstairs just to find my parents having break fast.

"I am sorry, but I am late" I said grabbing an apple as I almost ran out the door.

"Archer, we have to talk about something important" My mother called from behind me.

"I am sure it can wait, because my school bus definitely won't mom" I said annoyed as I continued running.

Walking in the school I met Harry at the gate.

"So Ben has his fourth period free and so do you, talk to him then" Harry informed me.

"How do you know that?" I asked confused.

"I have my moments" He shrugged.

I didn't push it, because I knew what I needed to know for now.

Time was ticking away really slow in my first three classes. However, I focused on what teacher was saying because I was not at all looking for another detention after what happened last time.

As the bell rang indicating it is the fourth period, Harry gave me a thumbs up before leaving for his class of Trigonometry. I walked to my locker and stood their patiently, staring at the locker of Ben Radar which was located about seven lockers away from mine in the opposite line.

"Just show up already" I muttered to myself and just at that moment as if he could hear me, he appeared.

I had seen him before but didn't really know much about him.

He was definitely a jock, as he had muscular body and arms though not too much. He wore a black T-shirt and his hairs were blonde. All in all, he was like one of those guys you have as heroes in your cliche movies.

"Hey Ben" I said awkwardly as I went to stand next with him.

He looked at me exactly like someone would if you had never talked to them before and were suddenly greeting to them as if you guys have been best friends since childhood.

"Hey" He said anyway "Do I know you?" 

He was clearly not interested at all.

"Hi, I am Archer" I said and upon hearing my name his eyes went wide and he looked at me.

"Archer Bryant?" He asked.

"Yes?" I said. Now it was me who was being creep out by him. "Why?"

"No nothing" He stuttered.

"What  do you want?" He asked, but not rudely.

"I need to know about Evelyn" I went straight forward to the question. Was I supposed to that or no though? Evelyn never told me. 

His reaction was not what I expected at all.

He stared at me for a few more seconds before he said "Who's Evelyn?" 

Now, even the people who never dated Evelyn before knew her very well. So he was really dumb if he thought I was going to fall for it.

"I know that you and her were dating Ben, can you please tell me what do you know about her vanishing?" I pleaded.

To my surprise he grabbed my hand and pulled me to an empty class room.

"What do you want Archer?" He asked again.

"I know you know something about Evelyn. What is it?" I asked.

He sighed. "Let's make a deal" He said suddenly.

"Deal?" I asked.

"You tell me what you know about Evelyn and I will tell you all that I know" He raised his eyebrow at me.

That was probably the hardest situation for me through out the whole Evelyn thing. Key word here, probably.

"You go first" I said.

"Evelyn was planning something for quiet a while now" He started and I was all ears. 

"I never knew what exactly this was. But she was often lost in her thoughts and I could tell she had cried when I met her by her red eyes. All in all I could tell she wasn't okay. I wanted to help her because I really, really loved her. I was hurting to see her hurt and so I continuously asked her if she was okay or what it was that was disturbing her. She never told me much except for that..." He suddenly stopped.

"What?" I asked, motioning for him to continue.

"She talked about you to me once Archer" He said and my heart tightened in my  chest.

"She did?" I asked, surprised,happy,confused and sad all at same time.

"She did. She told me that you were not as everyone looked at you. I laughed it off but she was dead serious. She told me that you seemed fun. That was also the night where she told me she was planning something fun" He finished.

"Fun. She was planning something fun" I talked, mostly to myself.

For Evelyn Mosby suicide seemed like fun to me.

"Your turn" Ben said to me.

There was something about his eyes that old me that he was really in love with her. 

Now, any other sane person would have told him as he had made a deal. But I wasn't any sane person. As much as I hate to admit it, I was jealous. Even though Evelyn was gone now, I expected her to be mine. I knew I was being very selfish, and I knew I might regret what I said next.

"I am sorry Ben, but I really know nothing about her" I said as I walked out of the class.