Chapter 20 - The Goodbye

Chapter 20 - The Goodbye [Last Chapter]

"It's time to go" She said.

We were currently sitting on the roof of the highest building in the whole state.

"Shh. The sun is coming out" I told her and she got quiet, as she too stared at the sun with me.

"When I was little" Evelyn said "I thought the sun was Yellow. Now I realize it was Orange" 

"The most perfect shade of Orange ever" I said.

We stood silent for a while, watching the sun rise. Watching sun rise with someone you love was without a doubt the best feeling in the whole world.

I realized I still hadn't told Evelyn I loved her. Was I even going to? What was the point anyway.

She finally got up "I have to go now Archer" She said.

I sighed in defeat. I never wanted the night to end, but it had to of course.

"Where will you go Evelyn?" I asked her.

"I don't know yet. Maybe anywhere I will be accepted. I have seen shops where they fix broken toys. I am looking for a place that can fix broken people. I will like to be fixed" She said.

"So you will head out to nowhere?" I asked.

"Nowhere but everywhere. I will explore, until I find the one place that me and my heart have been looking for" She replied.

I opened my mouth but said nothing and closed it again.

"We will talk Archer. I will mail you, I will call you I promise" She promised "As long as you don't tell anyone"

"I won't" I promised. All I wanted was to hold on to her but I knew what I needed to do was let her go, forever.

"So I guess this is the goodbye" She said and she started walking away, waving at me.

"Evelyn?" I said once again, stopping her dead in her tracks as she turned around again, still with a smile on her face.

"Yes?" Her deep husky voice said.

I barely managed to say the next words.

"I love you" I said.

She took steps towards me and caught me off guard placing her lips on mine for a bare moment.

And in that bare moment I wanted to believe that she would stay now and we both would confess our undying love to each other and be happily ever after. But I knew that was not possible.

She held my hand in hers.

"Remember, the real kind of love is the love that lets go" She said and she turned around, walking away step by step as I counted the steps she was taking.

I wanted to scream and shout or anything to stop her from going away, but my throat suddenly went dry and I couldn't speak. I knew I had to let her go.

One step... two steps....five steps... and then she was gone.

And I was left wishing to see her and hear her voice again.

"Mom where is my robe. I can't find it" I called downstairs.

I came back a little while after Evelyn had left and was now getting ready for the graduation ceremony that took place. Harry was supposed to be writing my speech for today, as we had planned earlier.

I wasn't even allowed to read it before, I had to read it for the first time in front of all the students, parents and teachers. 

"Right here" She said walking in with my robe.