Twenty-one

Luke had a rough night on Saturday. He kept tossing and turning in his bed. His head couldn't shut. He apologized to Liz as soon as he came back from Marc's and the woman was proud of her son for reconising his wrongs. Not all teenage boys can admit what they did was wrong. Okay, maybe Luke isn't a teenager anymore but he's not a full grown adult either. 

The blonde stared at his ceiling, watching the numeroud imperfections in the paint. He had forgotten his phone in Ashton's car - it must've fell on the floor during the drive home - so he couldn't play games to pass time. 

He was left alone with his thoughts. 

He tried reading a book but it wasn't working. His head was too restless for that. How can you concentrate on words when so many questions are invading your mind, a new one popping every seconds. 

Luke had contemplated getting up and watch the television but he didn't want to wake his mum. She isn't a heavy sleeper and it's her only day off from the hospital. She deserves her rest. 

He tried closing his eyes but every time he did, Ashton's face appeared behing his closed eyelids, the sad, distraught and heartbroken face haunting him. 

Hours passed and soon it was the morning. Early morning. 

He pushed his covers away, heading to the bathroom. Might as well do that, he's not sleeping anyway. Luke stood in front fo the bathroom mirror, staring at his reflection. He had bags under his eyes and his hair were a mess. He didn't style them yesterday and kept tugging at them during the day, not to mention how much he tossed in his bed during his sleepless night. Blonde streaks were poking sideways, giving him a wild bed head.

Once he was done admiring his poor self in the mirror, he left the bathroom.

''You're up early this morning, Sweetie,'' remarked the blonde woman still dressed in her robe and pajama, making her son jump a little. He thought she was still sleeping...

''Yeah, I-I couldn't sleep,'' he mumbled, rubbing his tired eyes. 

She hummed, patting the empty space beside her on the couch. She was watching the television on low volume while sipping her morning cafeine. Liz doesn't work on Sundays but her alarm stays in her head and wakes up at five o'clock anyway. It's the routine, she blames.

''Are you hiding something from me? I know you never gets up this early unless something in on your mind.'' 

Luke gaped at his mother. She knows his so well it's embarassing. He can't hide something from her, she reads in him like an open book. 

''I kinda broke up with Ashton.'' 

A frown appeared on the woman's forehead while she set her cup down on the coffee table. ''You- Why? I thought you guys were doing good together...'' The news took her by surprise. She knew something was up but not- She wasn't expecting this. They looked so happy together and their relationship seemed perfect to her eyes. Nothing is perfect thought. Even Luke and Ashton.

''I messed up mummy,'' he said, his voice breaking at the end. Liz cooed and pulled her son close to her chest, wrapping her arms arround him. He might be eighteen but he is her baby. 

''Shh, it's going to be okay, Honey,'' she promised, pressing a kiss to his pale skin, brushing his blonde hair softly while rubbing his back. Being a mother means multitasking! Thankfully, Liz has years of practice behind her. 

''I didn't want to. I-it was a mistake.'' He hugged his mother back, maybe a little too tight but she ignored it. Her baby boy was sad and he needed to be comforted. ''He was mad at me and I was too, i-it just slipped.'' Luke shook his head. ''I didn't mean it. I didn't. He said something hurtful and I wanted to hurt him too so I said that-''