Amy's Base: Part 2

(This is a continuation of what happened during the sneak peek.)

It's been about two weeks. We have all assumed that Kat is dead or worse.

The secret was let out a few days ago, everyone knows that the tributes could be dead. I mean, how else would you interpret the situation? A hovercraft doesn't wreck an arena just to save someone, if anyone did escape, they escaped the force of whoever drove that thing.

The three of us sit around a hologram of the president. He informs us that the hovercraft was seen within the districts, but nowhere outside Wattpanem.

It's not like anyone would be there to see it anyway.

"Mr. Snow...um, sir. We have been down here quite a while..." Dio begins. "I-is, um, is there a way we could move elsewhere safely?"

Snow's face becomes very stern. "My dear Mrs. Monterrae, why would you possibly want to move away from your safe haven? There is a possible threat of treason within the very walls of the Capitol! It is important you stay here to prevent any further...well, we wouldn't want another precious Gamemaker in the hands of a radical."

Esmerelda starts to form a stern look herself. "But sir, couldn't we just move to your mansion? As your so-called 'precious Gamemakers', wouldn't you want us to be in a place that's a little more comfortable?"

I start to feel a little queasy in my stomach. The president is not very forgiving when it comes to arguing.

Snow sighs and shakes his head. "I have you on my good side Esmerelda. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you once this gets settled."

Esmer huffs and gets up to sit on her cot. You can hear the sound of the metal springs echo throughout the bunker.

"My apologies Uriel Snow." I chirp into the hologram's speaker. "If you excuse us, we will sign off temporarily."

I push the main power button, causing the projector to cut off the screen. It is then shoved under my cot with the rest of my stuff.

"What are you doing Esmer?" I ask slightly nerved. "The last thing we need is the President wanting us replaced!"

"Replaced?" She replies. "Right now I would be worrying about going insane in this place!"

Suddenly, our conversation is cut off by a large boom on the door. The three of us stand completely still, creating a wave of silence. Another boom rings out, louder, closer, faster. Then another. And another.

Then a crash.

The door falls before us, letting in a wave of smoke and bright light. I shield my mouth, and squint my eyes to help deter my blindness. I shout a command to get down, and the two silhouettes of my friends beside me kneel to the floor.

As my vision clears up, I see a figure slowly enter through the smoke. He seems to be searching for something, listening for even the slightest noise.

It is then I feel the world go in slow motion.

From across the room, the sound of metal clanking comes from one of the silhouettes. The figure looks up, and runs to the source of the sound. He shouts a command, and yanks the silhouette to a standing position before taking out a small gun.

I close my eyes, and a heart-wrenching scream fills the air seconds before it is overwhelmed by a gunshot.

The sounds of more voices appear along with a series of muffled footsteps. I open my eyes again, and attempt to guide myself and the other silhouette quietly through the smoke. We crawl on our knees along the tile floor, and stop when we see a pool of blood.

I ask the silhouette to stay behind, and I begin to follow the pool to a body on the floor.

There in the smoke, with the lifeless glare I have grown to become used to...

was Esmerelda.

My heart begins to sink. I feel it becoming difficult to withhold my emotions as she blankly stares into my soul. I simply cannot understand, she was always the cautious one. She always knew what was best for us, even in times that were hectic. How, out of all of us, could she be forced into an abrupt end like this?

I start to sob, I don't care if they will hear me or not. They will find us anyway.

As if on cue, I feel a force hit the back of my head. My vision becomes blurry, and by head rings loudly until I fall unconscious.

It is silent.