Whatever Happened to Mai Li?

After a year of this story being completed, I decided to give you guys some closure. Hope you enjoy :)

For CloveMcLean

...
After seeing the explosion of the rebel base, we didn't really know what happened to Mai Li other than the fact that she had been absolutely devastated. The Capitol had kept the rest of the events secret, but even they only had a fraction of the story. With the help of some records and a few random fellows found in the woods somewhere, the conclusion to Mai Li's story can finally be known to the world.

Due to the fact that she stayed at the ruins of the rebel base for quite some time, she was found unconscious from inhaling the ashes by a small group of peacekeepers. She was then swiftly arrested and taken to the late president's mansion where Mrs. Snow (Uriel Snow's wife and newly entitled president at the time) would decide what to do with her.

Although Mrs. Snow was very eager to have her executed, she remembered how much her husband adored her, both for her skill and her cold personality. Therefore, she decided to have Mai train to become a hitman of sorts for the wealthy inhabitants of the mansion...once she recovered of course.

Mai was extremely resistant initially. She loathed to imagine working for the same people who killed her friends and their countries. However, the possibility that her country was destroyed in the process meant it was very likely that she had nowhere to go. Also, being a hitman meant she could do what she did best and not risk being punished. In fact, she could live in luxury while still being able to do what she did before the games. After considering it in solitary confinement for about two weeks, she reluctantly accepted Mrs. Snow's offer.

Mai lived the hitman lifestyle for aroud five years. She was loved by the citizens of the Capitol, regardless of their social status. The only ones who truly feared her were the Capitol's politicians, as they were the primary target of the president whenever they were caught slacking or disobeying the policies set by her, no matter how ridiculous they seemed. In fact, most of the Senators started to bring their own drinks to business meetings due to the fact that Mai was renowned for posioning her targets. They still eventually succumbed to other miscellaneous deaths for... classified reasons.

After establishing a very close relationship with the president, and keeping the remainder of the cabinet on their toes on a 24/7 basis, Mai had decided that she didn't want to be associated with the Capitol any longer. It was rumored that she was prompted by a dream the night before, where all of her allies from the arena told her to remember who she was and what she believed in.

On the morning of December 18th, Mai Li had assassinated Mrs. Snow in her office while she was meeting with the mayor of District 3. She also brutally attacked the mayor and escaped from the window according to his accounts. He died around 6 hours after the incident from unexplained causes.

Mai had managed to board a hovercraft that was stationed half a mile away from the mansion before the pilot was informed of the assassination. A recording from a security camera found in the craft's control room shows her telling the pilot to go to District 6 per order of the president. Mai managed to get within 47 miles of District 6 before the pilot received radio transmission of the president's death.

Upon getting the news, the pilot attempted to change the course of the hovercraft and bring Mai back to the Capitol where she could be detained and executed. Unfortunately for him, she caught on soon after and killed him, leaving her to fly the craft. As a result of her not knowing how to control it, the hovercraft crashed around 45 miles from District 6.

Although the Capitol Records end with Mai dying in the crash, many witnesses stated that she had survived and even made it to District 6 within a few days. Since there wasn't the wrath of a president over their heads, the citizens of the district allowed her to recover for a few days before offering her a piloted hovercraft to her original destination: China.

Due to the advanced high speeds used by our present hovercrafts, Mai reached China from Wattpanem in about 8 hours. To her suprise, only around a third of the country had been destroyed due to the destruction of the surrounding countries, as she had expected China in it's entirety to be obliterated. Even her village was lucky enough to be completely safe and to thrive the same way it did before the games.

In return for surviving the games and rebelling against the Capitol, Mai Li was pardoned for her crimes and granted the ability to own a home with a decent plot of land for crops.

She continued to live the rest of her life as a simpleton, sending letters to her family occasionally but never desiring to meet them. She preferred to just know about their daily lives rather than having to deal with family drama, and they understood. The only time she would kill from then on was when she had to hunt, but she much preferred forest animals over people since the games.

At age 86, Mai Li died of natural causes. She was buried in the tomb belonging to the royal family.