Chapter 4*

The last time I stressed about an outfit was prom, and that ended with me stabbing a guy's heart. None of my relationships worked out. I didn't think this would be different so I just wore casual clothes. I put on some blue jeans and a black sweater with dark flats. Just as I was leaving out the door, Josh walked in.

"Whoa.. Where are you going? Aren't you supposed to be at work?"

"I'm taking a mental health day to each a late lunch," I feigned a smile and started walking out again. Josh waved confused.

"Bye..."

I shut the door behind me. I hated lying to him.
*********************
When I got to the café I stood there. I was five minutes late, so I thought Charles must have left. 

Then, he showed up.

He had dark brown hair that grew neck length. He also had a chiseled jawline and light grey eyes with specks of green. His muscles were evident under a tight black tee, paired with dark blue jeans and black boots. I gulped.

"Hello gorgeous," he smiled.

"You're late." He looked as though he was about to laugh before he opened the doors to the café and ushered me in. The scent of cinnamons and spices hit me as soon as I entered the room. Charles helped me to a seat under a Picasso painting.

"Fancy."

"I try my best," he smiled again.

"Okay. Why are you so cheerful and whatever. I know you didn't bring me here just to stare and compliment me the whole time."

"You're absolutely stunning up close, love."

"Are you even listening?"

"What an astonishing green you have in your eyes as well."

"Okay. This obviously isn't working out," I said as I was getting up. He quickly grabbed my arm and motioned me to sit down, I obeyed.

"Look, I didn't bring you here to just to compliment and stare at your perfection of a face. I brang you here so we can talk and get to know each other over fresh cups of tea.."

"Okay well talk.. But first, how did you find me?"

"I'm a forensic analyst for the police station. I spotted your name and searched it in the system."

I shouldn't be associated with the police.

"Oh."

"What? Please don't tell me you're against police now are you?"

"I just.. am not the best person a guy like you should be with."

"Don't worry about it, I lost count of how many laws I've broken. If we're being honest," he stared intently in my eyes,"I like a little chaos in my life." he smiled.

"Anyways, we should order, yeah?"

I nodded. He ordered both of us cinnamon spiced black teas and we left to walk outside. It was dark and a full moon. Because it was cold, I had to stand closer to Charles than I wanted to. When we made it to the parking lot I turned around and faced him.

"I had a really great time tonight, but I don't think I'm the kind of person you want in your life. Not with what's going on in my life right now." 

He stroked my face and looked me in the eye.

"For you beautiful Cassandra. I'll wait." He then dropped his hand and walked away, leaving me in an unrecognisable haze.
********************
As soon as I got home I dropped on my bed, letting the feeling of relief fill me. I stared at the ceiling. The feeling of Charles still on my cheek. I closed my eyes and focused there, wanting it to stay there forever. I studied him in my mind, going over every detail. The broadness of his shoulders, the chisel of his jaw, the deepness of his eyes. I let his image invade my conscience as I drifted off to sleep.