Chapter 22

The urges were back once again. With my steady hand I knew I was ready to kill once before for old times sake. I've been contemplating retiring my ways so I could live my life. Maybe even start a family. This kill tonight was a seal to my plans. With Ezra I could see us being together forever, always. We both had a monster and we both wanted- no needed eachother. I called off from work today and sharpened my knives in excitement. Bubbles filled my chest. Today was the day. I have been preparing for this day for years. Ever since my father died. It was the anniversary and the man responsible, Raphael Enzo, was let free due to exposure to a drug raid. They granted him immunity and left me and Josh with a simple apology. Now after years of fury and anger vengance was mine. I would avenge every bit of innocence he took away from me and brother. I felt the blades in my hand, studying each detail as if to remember it. My last kill would certainly be splendid. I slid the knives into their individual Velcro pockets and strapped them in my backpack. It was almost midnight, the end of his shift at a local pub. I scurried to get my things. I packed syringes and tranquilizers carefully. I slid on my dark jeans and followed with a dark black jacket. I grabbed a cap and pulled it over my head. My footsteps glided across the ground as I snuck to my car. I started the car in excitement and quickly drove to the bar barely early enough for me to spot the man who took my father's life away. He was in his mid-forties with long black hair speckled with grey. His grey eyes dark and heavy with exhaustion. You would mistaken him for a kind man at first glance. But I knew he wasn't. His footsteps dragged across the pavement as he made his way to his car. I followed with ease. I was going to slip a needle in his neck when he turned around. His eyes burned with rage. You wouldn't mistake him for kind, but arrogant and rude.
"What do you think you're doing?"
"Avenging me." I stared before placing the syringe in his neck. I felt him lean in my arms in protest before his body went weak. I dragged him to his car and chucked him in the trunk after trapping the keys from his pocket. I started the car. Pleasure filled me. Nothing but absolute happiness rang through my mind as I drive off to my sanctuary.
***********
His body lay there covered in plastic wrap.and fuck tape. I looked at him in awe, almost envying his peaceful state. His conscience was starting to evolve when he realised the situation he was in. He didn't struggle between the hold but stared at me with his "kind" eyes. I expected more.
"Well..." I started not really knowing how to finish. He still looked at me. A flash of anger was in his eyes before he blinked it away. I took a deep breath continuing.
"You killed my father."
"I've killed a lot of fathers. What would it mean to me?" his arrogance was back.
"Does it mean nothing?" I inquired. I stepped up to him looking him in the eye, hoping for the least bit of remorse. Nothing. My eyes were beginning to water.
"You ruined my life. I kill now. You took away what innocence I had.." I choked out. Nothing. "Why don't you care?"
"Why would I. Your father probably deserved it." he replied coldly.
"He was a good man"
He scoffed. I held the knife to his neck, my mind wondering what I should do. He was obviously unremorseful. He didn't care. Not a single bit. I just needed something to show he cared just the smallest bit. He only lay there. I wiped a tear from my eye.
"I just wish he didn't have to die." I confessed. My head low.
He raised his head up and whispered, "Snitches get stitches. Deal with the consequences."
A realization washed over me. "I am. I was prepared to make you my last kill."
He looked at me confused.
"But now I know you will be my first. You see I am dealing with it. I'm a serial killer and I should be damn proud of it." I smile grew on my face.
"I can imagine the headlines." I presented it with my arms. "Smiley strikes back."
His eyes widened with fear when he realized who I was.
"I never thought I'd say this but. Thank you for reminding me of who the hell I am." I chuckled. I raised the knife over his chest.
"No wait!" he begged.
"Too late for begging now," I smiled before plunging it into his heart. The blood pooled around the table. I let relief feel me.
"Cassandra!" I heard I tell from outside. It was the love of my life. My heart skipped a few beats before I opened the door to see a waiting Ezra. I smile crossed my face. I couldn't wait to be in his arms. Just the thought of his warmth and his caress filled me with nothing but absolute joy. I started running over to him before two sets of arms pulled me back. I struggled in their grip. I looked behind me to see FBI agents swarming the building. Betrayal shocked my heart. My eyes scaled back to Ezra. His stance was like a wall but hurt outlined his face. How could he...
"I'm sorry."
"How could you!" I shouted. My lungs protested but I didn't care. I struggled in their grip again but to no avail. "How could you!"
They dragged me back to a car after handcuffing me for many minutes. When I finally was forced in I let it all sink in. Tears streamed down my twisted face as I stared at Ezra. My hand yearned to touch him. I needed to know why they found me. And why it was the one I love's fault.