Chapter 13*

I left work with conflict ringing in my mind. Charles or Ezra. I sat in my car with confusion lacing my every thought. I jolted up when I got a call from an unknown number.

"I see you've moved on to someone else," they accused.

"Who is this?"

"But it made me wonder.. Pity even how you didn't see the truth about Charles." It was Jessica.

"What do you mean?"I pressed.

"He's a serial killer. Just like you. Just like Ezra."

I sighed in disbelief. How could I not have known?

"No matter.." she sighed.

"No matter what?"
"No matter how fast you speed to his house. No matter how much you love him, I will hate him. And you know what? Tonight. He. Will. Bleed." She hissed before hanging up. it took a moment for me to register what she said.

I quickly started my car after dropping the keys a few times. My mind raced at the thought of what she told me. I sped over the limit. I swerved and dodged motorcycles. Tears threatened to fill my eyes but I blinked them away. Please let him be okay. I ran red lights. However, no matter how fast I drove it felt as if each house I passed just slowed me down. When I arrived at his place the door was unlocked. It smelled sick. I willed myself to open the door. The tears I kept away spilled over the rim of my eyes. There was Charles. His neck cut open wide. He had many stab wounds on his chest.

"No no no no No," I pleaded to myself." Please No." I begged. I fell to my knees and caressed his body. Blood was pouring onto my clothes and soaked my scrub. Everything inside me felt broken. A piece of sanity had crumbled. I ran my fingers over the stab wounds, tears streaming down my face and dripping onto his lifeless body. I couldn't stop myself from shaking. Each moment I cried the ache in my chest grew. "I'm so sorry." I whispered into his ear.

I heard an ambulance approach the house. My body stiffened I didn't know what I would say. If I was to expose Jessica she would be sure to expose me too. Everything in me fell numb as the thought of her made me growl. She was a waste of oxygen. I heard them knock before slowly opening the door to see me holding him, my body completely frozen. I could see the horror in their eyes. Jessica should have died.

"Mam are you okay?"
Jessica did this.

"Do you remember anything?"

Jessica killed one of the only people I truly loved.

"Someone get her a shock blanket."

"Jessica needs  to pay."