Twenty

Liam left home, leaving Niall to speak with his mom.Currently it was ten at night and Maura wanted to be tucked in by Niall who had to stay up and study.

"Niall, can you sit here and talk with me?"Maura said sweetly.

The fake blonde hopped onto his mother's bed, crossing his legs as he looked at her expectedly.

"Do you want anything to drink?"Niall asked her.

She smiled blissfully"No baby, tell me how it's going in school."

"I mean, I'm doing alright.I only have math finals and I'm done with the semester."Niall chuckled softly.

"You've always been a good boy, Niall. I'm so proud of you, but what's new I've always been proud of you."Maura hiccuped, Niall believed she was going to cry."Niall, I've lived a cancer filled life, it's been hard living day by day but you, you're strong Niall.Since you were a child, you never cried.Promise me you won't cry."

"Mom-"

"Promise me, Niall."She cried, clutching on to her son's hand."Please, I need to know you'll be strong for everyone."

Niall nodded, the tears that streamed down fell onto their intertwine hands."I promise momma."

Maura nodded, sitting up to bring her son into a tight embrace."I'm sorry for failing you as a mother, you and your brother had to raise yourself-"

"No momma, you didn't have a choice.I couldn't asked for a more protective mother."Niall breath out, his chest shuddered as another sob escaped his mouth.

"No more tears, baby."Maura placed a small kiss on Niall's forehead."I love you so much."

"I love you too, mom."Niall closed his eyes in attempted to hold in his tears.

"Can you go bring me that water now?"Maura laughed.

Niall smiled, nodding.As he walked to the kitchen, he pour his mom a glass of water .Walking in to her room, she looked to be sound asleep.

He grinned, placing the water on her night stand .Going to brush away her hair but she seemed not to flinch or respond at all.

Niall's grin fell, a frown replaced it as his eyes widen.Going to grab his mom's hand but it fell limp.He began to hyperventilate , falling into the floor, clutching Maura's lifeless hand.

"If I would have stayed, this wouldn't have happened."He screamed to himself."I-I have to call the hospital."Niall's finger shakily dialed 911.

"911 operator, how may I help you?"A man spoke.

"My mom, she died."Niall's words escaped his lips, making him come to the realization that his mother wasn't coming back."She's dead!"He attempted to hold in his tears, remembering his promises."I don't know what to do."

"What's your name, son?"

"Niall Horan"He breathed out shakily.

"How old are you?"

"Fifteen."

"Alright, kid.I'm sending over the ambulance.Do you know how she died?"

"I don't know"Niall said, his breath rugged"She had cancer."

"Okay, officers are on their way."

"Thank you"Niall hung up.Hearing the small knock on their door.

Niall looked back at his mother's body, not wanting to leave her behind.

----