A small family

Jason's pov

Something has been worrying me all week. Why would they make a shirt like that unless her mom was pregnant when they did. She wakes up and I serve her and Rachel breakfast. I don't want to ask her about her mom. It always makes her sad. Instead I'll ask Sierra. She's better at talking about that stuff.

*later*

Luke and Sierra come over to visit. Perfect. "Hey Sierra, I need some help in the kitchen!" I call. She comes in luckily alone. I don't want to talk about this with Miranda in the room. "What's up?" "Well, why did Miranda have a 'I'm a big sister' T-shirt?" She looks surprised. "She still has that old thing?" I nod, confused. "It was just something she picked up at the thrift store. She wanted it so bad so her mom let her get it." So it wasn't what I was thinking. "Dinner's ready guys!" I call.

*two months later*

Miranda's pov

Dad and Mrs. Rachel just got back from a doctor's appointment. Luke waves us downstairs. I put my book away. "I'm nervous about all this." Sierra smiles reassuringly and holds my hand. We go downstairs excited now.

Jason's pov

Miranda runs over and I scoop her up. "So what is it? Am I having a brother or sister?" I smile at Rachel. "Well, you're having a brother and sister." Luke's eyes go wide. "Dude! Twins!" I laugh and nod. "One boy and one girl." "Congrats, man."

*several months later*

I was drifting off to sleep on the couch with Rachel beside me and Miranda on my lap when Rachel cried out in pain. Uh oh. "I think it's time!" She cries. I stand up, helping her off the couch. Miranda opens the door. "I'm going to Uncle Luke's right?" She asks. I nod and get Rachel in the car.

*later*

Luke's pov

Miranda looks really worried. "Everything is gonna be okay." I say, sitting beside her and my daughter. "B-But what if she dies like mama?" She whimpers, crying in her hands. "That won't happen!" I get a call. Silence on the other end. Just heavy breathing. "Jason?" I ask. Both girls heads snap up. "Bring the girls." He says. "Is everything okay, Jason?" "Y-Yeah everything's fine. It's just an amazing feeling." I smile and get the girls ready.

Miranda's pov

I walk into the hospital room. Mrs. Rachel lay in the bed and daddy sits beside her. He smiles. "Come here." I walk over and Mrs. Rachel holds the two babies. They're so tiny.

Jason's pov

She stares at the babies wide eyed. "Wow, they're so tiny." I pick her up, putting her on the bed. "Miranda, meet your brother James and your sister Erica." "I love them!" Rachel lets her hold James and I hold Erica. Rachel's exhausted. "Just sleep now baby, I've got the kids." A doctor takes the babies to the nursery and we look through the glass. She smiles up at me. "I love you daddy." "I love you too hun." I pick her up and we go home.

*a few days later*

The babies come home and we put them in their nursery. One side is blue and one side is pink.

*later*

I wake up hearing crying. I walk down the hall to the nursery. Miranda is feeding a bottle to James through the crib. I smile and walk in. "Hey sweetheart." She jumps. I laugh. I pick James up and sit in the rocking chair. I pat my other leg and she sits there. "I think I'm gonna like being a big sister." I smile and feed James a bottle. Pretty soon both kids are asleep in my lap. I kiss their heads and lay James in his crib then carry Miranda to her room. I turn on her night light, close her door, and go lay back down with my wife.