A Realization

Jason's pov

I was driving over there, flipping through the radio stations trying to find a good song. Then the chorus of a Tim McGraw song slips through the speakers. "Talk is cheap and free advice is worth the price you pay! I had to find out for myself the hard way! Can't tell me nothin'." I brake to the side of the road, wide eyed. Whatever I say or try to do won't do a damn thing. Rachel is right. She needs to make her own mistakes and learn that way. I get back on the road, headed for home.

Miranda's pov

We decided not to go any further than making out. Now I'm resting on the couch against Keith's chest. "What about the cake?" Oh yeah. "We should probably go get it." I say, standing up. "Do ya want me to come with?" "If you want to." He smiles and kisses me again. "You know I'll always want to." We get the cake and get home. The twins run over. "Happy birthday guys." I say, hugging them both. Uncle Luke and dad are talking on the front porch, beers in their hands. I wave and dad tips his hat to me with a smile. Keith kisses my cheek then carries the cake inside. Sierra walks over looking upset. "What's wrong?" I ask. "Dumbass boyfriend cheating on me!" My eyes go wide. "Where the hell is the bastard?! I'll fucking beat him!" I yell. She laughs slightly. "It's okay. I've got no reason to care. He doesn't deserve me anyway." I smile and hug her. "That's right sis."

*later*

Jason's pov

I overhear a conversation between Miranda and Keith. "Then when baby?" Huh? "I don't know Keith. Just not right now. I'm not ready for sex." My eyes go wide. "Ok. I'll wait for you. Because I love you." My God. I was wrong. She wasn't having sex with him. I'm sure glad I didn't go over there now! I'd have looked like a total fool! "Thank you. And I love you too. I just.... I wanna wait til I know for true that I'm ready." I sneak back to the living room shell shocked. "Luke, I was wrong." "Wrong about what?" He asks, letting go of Lisa's waist. "Keith and Miranda. They weren't doing it. She said she's not ready. I overhead them talking." His eyes go wide just like mine did. "Wow. See your girl has a good head on her shoulders. She has to learn the hard way. Just like I did. I'm gonna go talk to her.

Miranda's pov

Keith joined the party but I'm just not up for it. I'm too tired. "Knock knock." I turn over. Dad. "Hey what's up?" I ask, bringing my legs to my chest. "Can we talk?" He asks. "Sure." He pulls the chair from my desk and sits backwards. "What's up?" "I overheard you and Keith earlier." My face gets red. "I just wanna say I support whatever decision you choose to make because you're right. You're a grown girl now and I need to stop treating you like a child. It's just difficult for me to admit it. My little girl is growing up. And you need the freedom to make your own choices and your own mistakes but just know. If you ever need to talk or you need advice on anything you can always come to me. And I'll never steer you wrong." I fight back the tears and stand up. "Dad, I.... I do have something to talk about with you." "And what's that?" I shakily take my hand out of my pocket. "Me and Keith are getting married.

Jason's pov

My chest starts hurting. "B-But you're not even 18 yet!" I gasp. "I know that. But I love Keith and I wanna be with him for the rest of my life. Please understand!" I have to. I stand up. "I do, sweetheart. I'm just surprised. I knew you were growing up I just didn't know it was that fast!" She smiles. "You're not mad?" I shake my head and hug her. "I know Keith is the one for you. I've seen it between you two." I fight back the tears. "It's what I once had a long time ago with your mother." Her hands tense up. "You really did love mom, didn't you?" I stare at my daughter who looks so much like her mother. Same jet black hair. Same look in her eyes, even the same never quit attitude. The only difference she got my piercing green eyes, stubbornness, and hardheaded nature. "Yes baby girl. I do. She loves you too." I say, tearing up. I hug her tight and kiss her head. My baby girl is getting married.