A Lazy Day And Reconnecting

Miranda's pov

Me and Uncle Luke are in the hallway outside his room with Rachel. Sierra is taking care of the kids. I can't stop shaking.

Luke's pov

She's rocking back and forth and shaking something fierce. I sit beside her. "Sweetheart, it'll be okay. He's tough." "It's just like mama. Everyone said she'd be fine. She was a strong woman but now she's dead! Been dead for almost nine years now!"

Jason's pov

Oh man, is this why she's been acting out? Her mom? "He's not gonna die. I can promise you that." I hear Luke say. I struggle to sit up. "Nurse." I strain to say. She turns around. "Oh you're awake." I nod. "My daughter, tell her to come in here please."

Miranda's pov

The nurse walks out and to me. "Your daddy's awake." She says. I stand up quickly. "How is he? Can I see him?" I whimper, terrified. "He's asking for you." I run into his room. He smiles weakly. "Hey princess." I wipe the tears from my eyes. "You be careful. You're gonna break that." He says, pointing. I look down and realize I was gripping my locket really tight. I sit by his bedside. "I'm gonna be fine hun, I've been shot before.... I just.... Hid it from you." "I was just.... Afraid.... It was like.... Mom." I choke out between crying. He holds my hand. "Open your locket." He says. I confusedly do. "Mom's not gone. She's still here, watching over you. And I'm never gonna leave you. Not ever. Til the day you die, I'll always be here with you. No matter what. You're my little girl and you always will be." I smile. "I love you dad." "I love you too."

*later*

Jason's pov

I finally get to go home. Erica and James are asleep on the couch when we get home. "Hey uncle Jay you okay?" Sierra asks. I smile and pat her head. "I'm still kickin'. This ol cowboy don't go down without a good ass kicking." She smiles. Luke takes her home and I go to bed. The doctors gave me some really strong pain meds and I'm this close to knocking out. A few minutes later, Rachel lays beside me. "What'd you two talk about?" "Nothin' much. She was afraid I'd die like her mom did." "Do you think she'll behave now?" I wrap an arm around her. "I think so hun." I smile and kiss her. "Are you sure you're up for stuff like that?" She asks teasingly. I laugh and sit up. "Being shot ain't gonna stop me from making love to my girl." She laughs this time. I turn on my side and slip my hand under her head, kissing her again, leading to us making out. "I love you baby." "I love you, Jay." Absentmindedly, my hand runs up her leg, under her night shorts. She sits up, unbuttoning her shirt slowly, teasingly. I smile, watching my hot young wife. As soon as her shirt is off, I sit up, grabbing her arms and kissing her again.

*the next morning*

I wake up and Rachel's getting dressed for the day. I smile and reach a hand out and grab her ass. She squeaks, making me laugh. "Jeez, Jay, you almost gave me a heart attack." I cross my hands behind my head. "Hey don't you die on me yet babe. I can't handle three kids by myself!" She laughs and sits beside me. "Oh really?" I smirk. "Last night was fun." I open my eyes. "I fully agree madam." She laughs again. "You're funny as hell." "Eh only two percent funnier." I say, shrugging. "Oh you're gonna be the death of me cowboy." "Dad, Rachel, I made breakfast!" Miranda calls from downstairs. She's never done that before. "Maybe this near death experience really did turn her around." Rachel says, standing up. "Hey I wasn't near death. I was able to go home the same day." She smiles and extends a hand. I clasp hers and pull her back down beside me. "Wasn't what I was going for but I'll take it." She says with a sly smile. "You sure are princess." I whisper, kissing her again.

Miranda's pov

Dad messages me saying he's staying in bed and is tired. I text back asking if he wants me to bring it up to him. But I don't get a reply. James fixes his glasses and butters his biscuit. "Thanks for breakfast sis. It was great." Erica says, making me smile. I hug them both. I grab a piece of bacon and eat it. I fix a plate for dad and Rachel and carry them upstairs. I knock on the door. "Huh? Uh what's up?" Dad calls. "I brought breakfast up for y'all." I hear Rachel laugh. "I.... Uh... I'll be right there." A few seconds later, he opens the door. "Thanks hun, you uh you think you got the kids for the day? I'm just gonna rest with Rachel." "Oh man, is it from getting shot?!" I gasp, worried again. He runs his hand through his hair and glances back at Rachel. "No sweetheart, I'm just tired. My stomach is fine. I promise." He says, resting a hand on my shoulder. I smile. I go back downstairs and the kids are arguing over what show to watch. I smile watching them. Going back to my innocent years. It makes me think of Keith. Man I miss that boy. Maybe I should call him. He's definitely one of the nicest boys ever. I stare at my phone debating it. Before I can even think a second more, I hit call and put it to my ear. Half of me hopes he doesn't pick up, the other half is praying he does. My heart skips a beat when I hear, "Hello?"