At the office

Banner by @-secretlyperfect thanks for the beautiful banner

currently #364 in General Fiction

On Monday morning I wake up in a cosy Queen sized bed at Grandmother and Grandfather's place. I look at the alarm clock and sit up in bed. The sun shines into the room leaving dust floating through the room.

I climb out of bed and head straight to the bathroom. I step into the shower and quickly was my hair and body.

After the shower I wrap a towel around my body and walk back to the bedroom. In the room I search the cupboard for something to wear on my first day back at Parker Inc.

I find a black skirt and white blouse and I put them on. I pull on a pair of stockings and slip my feet into a pair of black heels.

I exit my room and make my way to the kitchen.

Grandmother and Grandfather are sitting at the table when I enter the room. Grandmother looks up from the newspaper. "Good morning, Mikayla."

I smile. "Good morning." I look at her. "Are you sure I should go to Parker Inc today? What if Landon doesn't want me there?"

She places a hand on my arm. "He doesn't get a say in who can work at Parker Inc. Besides, he made you sign an agreement and a job was included in that. I know my Grandson and he won't back out of this. You're fighting with him like a normal couple would. Soon enough you'll be back at his house."

I sit at the table. "I don't want to marry him on Saturday. It feels too rushed for my liking."

Grandmother smiles. "I agree with you. That's one thing I'm going to talk to Landon about today. Also, I want to know what your interests are. I was thinking about starting a smaller team inside the company and I want you to run it."

I hug her. "Are you serious?"

She nods. "I've known you since you were 22 have I ever said something I didn't mean?"

I shake my head. "I want to do something with writing and photography."

Grandmother pulls out a piece of paper and she hands it to me. "This is a contract for you to work with Landon until the magazine starts up next month. I also have the perfect fashion designer for you to work with. She also has her own models that you can use for the magazine shoots. You will meet her next week."

"Thank you, Grandmother."

One of the cooks brings a plate of food. She places it in front of me. "Do you want orange juice or coffee?"

I look at her. "I can get it."

She shakes her head. "Please, let me get it?"

I sigh. "This is the only time I'll let you get anything for me. I like to do things myself. Can I have a glass of orange juice?"

The woman runs into the kitchen and returns with a glass of orange juice. She places it in front of me and walks out of the room.

I take a sip of the orange juice.

***

After breakfast I gather my bag and walk to the front door. Grandmother looks up from the couch. "I'll be in the office later. I have to call the Private Investigator to see if he's found anything about your Birth Parents and your daughter."

"Okay, I'll see you there." I turn to her. "Do you have a car I can drive?"

She walks over to the key rack and throws me a set of BMW keys.

I can't believe she's letting me drive a car like this.

I open the door. "Thanks," I close the door and make my way to the garage. I press the alarm on the car and the door unlocks.