The Set Up

Landon POV

Today is the day I see my no good bastard of a cousin.

I want to knock the shit out of the prick.

I start pacing.

Mikayla looks up from the pan, she's using to cook breakfast. "Stop it. You're making me nervous, Landon." She whispers. "You know how much it gets to me when you do that."

She's not pretty when you stress her out. She pulls on her hair and a string of curse words fall out of her mouth. I prefer it when she's acting like a lady.

I sigh. "I'm sorry, Kay."

I take a seat and run my fingers over the table cloth, smoothing out the crinkles.

She rolls her eyes. "Here's some food. It will keep you occupied for a while."

I laugh. "Thanks."

She smiles and it lights up her face. Her eyes twinkle when it's a genuine smile.

I love that smile.

I eat the bacon and eggs that are placed on the plate in front of me.

She finishes off cooking and sits across from me at the dining table. "I'm going to Mum and Dad's place for a bit. I might even spend a couple nights with them."

We both need to spend time with our family right now.

I nod. "I think I might go home too. I'll call you with the details of the funeral.

"Okay," she looks down at her plate and she pushes it away.

Mikayla has tears falling down her face.

I rise and move over to her. I wrap my arms around her. "Shhh, it's alright, Mikayla. We'll get through this together."

She nods. "I know." She wipes her face with the back of her hand. "I'm going to miss you."

I kiss her forehead. "Me, too. I'm a phone call away, Mikayla."

"I know." She whispers.

After breakfast we clean the kitchen.

Mikayla washes up and I dry.

When the kitchen is clean we head upstairs to pack our overnight bags.

I look at her. "Do you want me to drop you off at your parents?"

Mikayla stops packing her bag and looks at me. "Are you serious?"

"Yes, I am. I don't like the idea of you driving around with my psycho cousin out there. Besides, I don't think it's safe for you to drive with all the crying you've been doing. You could cause an accident."

She nods. She continues packing her bag. When the bag is packed she puts it in her shoulder and turns to me. "Let's go."

I follow her out of the house and I put our bags in the boot.

She climbs into the front seat.

Ten minutes later, I pull the car into the driveway of Mikayla's biological parent's house.

I look at the house and it's bigger than the one I own. There's balconies on each room with a table and chairs.

I bet the view's great from there.

Mikayla steps out of the car and Mariana walks down the stairs.

She runs to Mariana. "Thank you for letting me stay here."

Mariana smiles. "You're welcome to stay anytime you need. You're my daughter and I want to get to know you."

I pull Mikayla's bags out of boot and place them on the ground.