The Will Reading

I am woken by a pan banging across the floor in the kitchen. I climb out of bed and wrap a dressing gown around me.

I tip toe down the stairs and hide behind the wall. I see Landon in the kitchen trying to cook breakfast.

This should be entertaining. He's never cooked for me before.

I enter the kitchen and take a seat on the stool next to the kitchen counter. "What are you making for breakfast?"

I watch him jump. "Shit, don't sneak up on me like that."

I laugh. "You should pay attention to your surroundings, Mr Parker. A serial killer could sneak in here."

He rolls his eyes. "You're the only one that can be serial killer. Who tip toes into a room to watches someone cook?"

I point to myself. "I do. Watching you cook is entertaining. I heard the pan drop and knew I didn't want to miss out on the rest of the show." I wink at him.

He shakes his head. "I'm going to pay you back for this someday."

I shrug. "Good luck, with that."

Landon throws butter into the frying pan and I hear it sizzle. He tosses in the bacon and the butter splatters all over the place.

He starts cursing when the butter splatters onto his hand.

I start laughing.

He turns to me. "Can you help me out here?"

I shake my head. "You're doing a great job, Landon. You should turn down the pan."

He turns the pan down and places more bacon into the pan. "Fried, scrambled, boiled, hard boiled?"

I tap my chin. "Hard boiled."

He nods. "How long do I need to cook them for?"

"Five minutes. I'm going to have a shower." I climb off the stool and run up the stairs.

As I'm closing the bathroom door I hear Landon curse again. I shake my head and close the door, blocking him out.

I turn the shower on and step inside. I stand under the running water longer than usual as I enjoy the water cascading over my body.

I step out of the shower and wrap the towel around me. I enter my bedroom and pull on a pair of black pants and t-shirt.

I walk downstairs to the kitchen and Landon looks over at me. "We have to go to Grandmother and Grandfather's Will reading today."

Thanks for letting me know in advance buddy.

I look over at him. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" I make myself a cup of coffee.

He moves towards the counter. "I forgot. The last couple of days have been busy and things kept distracting me from telling you." he looks at the ground. "I'm sorry, Kayla."

I hug him. "At least you remembered to tell me this morning. It's a good thing I didn't have anything planned for today."

Landon pulls away. "I need to have a shower. I stink."

I block my nose. "I was wondering where the smell was coming from."

"Ha, ha, ha," he exits the room.

I hear the shower turn on and music drifts out of the bathroom.

***

After breakfast I clean the dishes and once they are on the wrack drip drying. I walk over to the lounge and pick up the remote and turn the TV. I flip through the channels. I leave it on the music channel.

I sing the words to 'I knew I loved you by Savage Garden.'

Landon turns the TV off. "And she killed the song with her off pitched words."

I hit his arm. "I forgot how great your voice is. I heard you from the kitchen."

He smiles. "I wanted you to remember that about me, Mikayla. That was one of the reasons you fell in love with me."

"It's not going to be that easy for you to get me back. I told you a couple of weeks ago that I'm not going to let this go anywhere. I just need you stop pursuing me, Landon." I exit the house.

***

Landon pulls the car in front of a huge building in the middle of Los Angeles. The sign in the front window says 'Hemmingway Lawyers.'

The automatic doors open and I walk into the building. The floors are wooden and they are polished.

Mrs Parker starts to slip in her heels.

Landon and Mr Parker catch her before she can fall.

In the corner of the room are leather seats and close to that is a secretary standing behind a wooden desk. She looks up as we approach. She stands up. "Hello Mrs Parker. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'll let them know you've arrived. You need to go to the top floor."

"Thanks," Mrs Parker walks past her and pushes the button.

The doors to the lift opens.

On the top floor we follow Mr Hemmingway to the Board Room. There's a few members of the Parker's that I haven't met.

Landon takes a seat next to me.

The Lawyer puts a video on and Grandmother comes on the screen.

"Today is the day of the Will Reading. I have changed this Will ten times before I settled on the way it is. I will tell you what you're getting and I won't tolerate you fighting over things that you don't get. First Parker Enterprises will be going to my Grandson Landon Parker, but, he won't get the company until next year. Dan, will be CEO, until then. Second, I give forty-five percent of Parker Enterprises to Mikayla."

It was less the last time she told me she was giving me a percentage of the company.

Landon's Uncle rises and turns to Lawyer. "Why does she get a piece of the company? What about the rest of the Parker's?"

I rise and face him. "Maybe, if your son didn't kill them you'd get something. You should have sent him to get help a long time ago. You knew what he was capable of." I sit and shake my head. "I told you last year he was unstable and you let him run around."

Landon holds my hand.

The Uncle shakes his head. "I wasn't going to listen to my nephew's tramp tell me about my son."

Landon grabs hold of his Uncle's throat and drags him across the room. He hits his Uncle's head against the wall. "Don't you ever call her a tramp, Uncle."

The Lawyer presses play on the video and Grandmother's voice fills the room. "Darren, sit your arse in the chair. You're lucky I didn't remove you from the Will."

I start laughing.

Darren's face turns red as he takes his seat. He glares at me before turning his attention back to the TV.

Landon elbows me.

I turn to him. "What? It's like she's actually in the room and your Uncle gets scold by her like a child. She did that to you when she found out what you were doing."

"Now, that Darren is sitting down I'm going to tell you who's getting my house in Los Angeles. You know what wouldn't surprise me?"

The door opens and a guy that looks like Landon enters the room. "Sorry, I'm..." he trails off as he looks at his Uncle. "What the fudge is this moron doing here?"

Landon shakes his head. "Grandmother kept him in the Will even though she knew his son was trying to kill."

Nolan rises and moves toward his Uncle. He throws a right hook at his Uncle and the uncle falls to the ground. Nolan spits on him. "If I see your son I'll do more than that to him." He moves towards his seat.

Landon pulls me on top of him and then pushes me into his seat. He takes the seat next to his brother.

There's too much family drama in this room.

"At this point my Grandson Nolan has walked into the room gracefully late for everything. Tsk, tsk, tsk, if you get married the woman be impressed with your tardiness. So, for my Grandson Landon, I leave you my Los Angeles and Santa Barbara houses. The Lodge is Colorado Springs goes to Landon and Mikayla. My Great Grandbabies are going to enjoy spending time there."

How does she know all these things were bound to happen. It's weird if you ask me.

Nolan shuffles forward and look at me. "Did my Big Brother knock you up, sweetheart? Hi five."

I shake my head. "I'm not knocked up. Your Grandmother is talking about our future children."

Nolan laughs. "If she's not knocked up that means you are tying the knot? That would be why Grandmother thinks you two will have children."

Darren starts to stir in the corner. He climbs to his feet and moves towards his seat. He glares at everyone in the room.

A shiver runs down my spine as he looks at me.

Landon and Nolan shuffle there seats and block my view from their Uncle.

Darren looks at his brother. "Can you believe this shit? Your sons are protecting a girl that has no rights to the family fortune. How can you sit there Laughlin and let her take things our parents worked their arses to get."

Mr Parker rises. "She has every right to be here. Do you know how close Mum and she were? No, because you were too busy ignoring the family and raising a psychopath."

Darren looks at his brother and nephews. "Everything is so messed up, brother. I'm sorry for the problems my son has caused and I'm sorry for this." He pulls his phone out of his pocket. "DO IT NOW!" he yells.

What's he doing?

Landon pulls me against him. "Don't move, Mikayla."

I lean my head against Landon's back.

An Alarm starts to go off as the room fills with smoke. Landon pulls me to the floor. He pulls off his jacket and gives it to me. "Put that over your mouth."

I look into his blue eyes with tears in my eyes. "What about you?"

He kisses the top of my head. "I'll be fine. You on the other hand I worry about. Please, get out of the room safely and meet me downstairs."

Mr Hemmingway pulls out the drive from the computer and sticks it in his pocket. He looks around the room. "Alright, everyone, down on the ground. We're going to move like ducks across the hallway to the stairs. If the fire department are close they'll be in the stairwell by the time we reach it. Stay close to each other."

Smoke filters into the room and I start to cough as I feel it go into my lungs. My eyes start to sting from the smoke.

Landon touches my back. "I'll stay behind you,"

Mr Hemmingway opens the door and we exit the office.

My legs hurt.

I stop halfway to the stairwell as my leg begins to cramp. I stretch out my leg and look around the hallway. I can't see a thing as the hall is heavy with smoke.

I'm hot.

I start to take off my shirt.

Landon touches my arm. "Keep moving, baby."

"I can't."

"Landon, Mikayla!" I hear someone yell.

I start coughing.

I slide across the floor on my belly. My arms and legs scrape across the tiled floors.

Get to the exit, Mikayla.

I feel someone grab the back of my shirt and I scream.

"MIKAYLA!" Landon yells.

The person flings me across the room and my back hits the wall. He moves closer to me and stands above me.

Darren!

He smirks. "My son and I had this planned for days. They were all supposed to die in this fire." He shakes his fists. "YOU SOULD HAVE STAYED AWAY FROM THE PARKER FAMILY!" he paces back and forth. "You brought this upon yourself."

I feel a fist connect with my face.

I hear the sound of a gun and close my eyes.

Everything happens quickly and I find myself in Landon's arms. "Don't take me to the hospital. You know how much I hate that place."

He nods. "I'll get someone to meet us at the house. You have to stay awake, Mikayla." He lifts me up and carries me down the stairs.

I can't believe the Will caused all of this.

At the bottom of the stairs Landon's family are there. Mrs Parker looks at me. "You should get her checked out."

Landon nods. "Can you get someone to meet me at the house?"

Mrs Parker pulls her phone out and whispers to the person on the other end. "Thank you," she finishes the call. "Doctor Wilson will be at yours in fifteen."

***

Thanks for reading

Vote/comment/share/follow me

❤️MissDredge❤️

Let me know what you think of the current chapter of The Billionaire's Agreement