Earthquake

After dinner Grandfather rises from the table and he looks at Landon and I. He yawns. "I'm going to bed now. Thank you for having dinner with us." He hugs and kisses us before heading up the stairs.

Is he alright?

I look at the stairs. "Is Grandfather alright?"

Grandmother nods.

Landon shakes his head.

What does Landon know? I'll have to ask him when we're in the car.

Landon looks at me. "We should go home. We have an early start tomorrow."

I walk over to Grandmother and I give her a hug. "Goodnight, Grandmother. I'll be by tomorrow after work."

Grandmother whispers. "You better." She looks at Landon. "I want you to give me the rundown on what happened between Jasiah and you."

Landon hugs and kisses Grandmother. "I'll see you, tomorrow."

Grandmother walks Landon and I out the door. She watches us climb into the car.

Landon beeps the horn before pulling out of the driveway.

I see Grandmother shut the door and turn the lights off. The house disappears from view and we head toward the freeway.

I look at Landon. "Is Grandfather okay?"

He turns his head to me. "No, I just found out her has cancer. Grandmother doesn't want to worry the family. So, she kept to herself."

I turn to him. "How do you know this?"

His hand grip the steering wheel and his knuckles turns white. "I saw one of his Doctors last night and he asked me how Grandfather was. I told him he was fine. But, the doctor told me more than I needed." He hits the dashboard. "They weren't going to tell anyone about the cancer. They wanted to take care of themselves."

After half a mile Landon pulls off the freeway and drives towards the house. As we go up the hill the ground starts to shake.

I grab onto the dashboard as Landon speeds around a corner. I look to my right and I see rocks falling down the cliff during the Earthquake. "LANDON, GET US OUT OF HERE!" I yell.

Landon moves the car and a rock lands in front of the car. He swerves the car to the left hand side and drives.

The road in front of us cracks open and I scream as the front tire hits the crack. Landon loses control of the car for a second and it spins around twice.

My heart starts racing.

Landon pulls the car to the side of the road and he hugs me. He whispers soothing words to me. He sways us. "Shhh, it's alright."

I have tears running down my face.

As soon as the Earthquake stops Landon pulls the car back onto the road.

Grandmother!

I look at Landon. "We need to check on Grandmother."

Landon shakes his head. "We need to get inside. I don't want to be out here any longer. It's not safe."

I open the door. "If you don't turn the car around I will jump out. Then I'll hike all the way to Grandmother's place."

He sighs. "Fine."

Landon turns the car around.

On the way down the hill Landon has to drive on the other side of the road to avoid the rocks. The ground starts to shake again.