Chapter Ten

Ricky's PoV

I wake up next to Ronnie. He snores lightly. The sun shines brightly, blinding me. I sit up. My whole body aches, mostly from last night. I grab my clothes and dress at quickly as I can without hitting my head. I throw a blanket over Ronnie, and get in the driver's seat. Where can I go?

"Mason," I whisper. How could I have forgotten? I went there to see Mason. I lean back and shake Ronnie. He stirs and wakes up.

"Hi, Ricky. What's up?" Ronnie asks sleepily.

"Can I drop you off at your bus? Or at my house? Somewhere?" Ronnie looks at me in surprise.

"Why? Do you need to go somewhere?" I hesitate, but nod my head. "If you want. Otherwise I could go with you."

"I don't think you should." Ronnie sits up and pulls on his boxers.

"I'll just walk around. Here." Ronnie hands me his phone. I put my number in. When I hand him his phone, he has his jeans on. He's lacing up his shirt.

"I'm sorry, Ronnie," I say. He shakes his head.

"It's okay. I'll talk to you later." He leans forwards and kisses me. Then he opens the car door, pulls on his shirt, and leaves. I wait for him to walk off before starting towards the hospital. When I get there, I go past the receptionist, trying to recall the number. 217? I open the door. Inside, lay Mason on a bed. Trace sat in a chair in the corner; asleep. I walk in, sitting down in a chair.

"Who are you?" Trace asks. His eyes aren't fully open, but I can tell he's looking at me.

"My name's Ricky Barrison. I was with Mason two days ago. Before he...you know." There's an awkward silence.

"You shouldn't even be in here. They're called one night stands for a reason," Trace says.

"I just wanted to see him. He left from my house. If I had taken him home in the morning, he wouldn't have gotten hurt."

"Hurt? He got hit by a fucking car. He could be dead. He almost is! Why the fuck are you in here? He doesn't care about you. Do you think he wants to wake up and see that face?" Trace yells. He's fully awake now.

"I feel like I owed it to him. I want him to survive as much as you do." Trace stands up.

"You filthy fucking liar! You will never know what it feels like. You don't know what this like for me. He's my best friend. Don't you even say you feel the same about this as I do." Trace slams me into the wall. His arm presses into my throat. "You owe him everything. If he hadn't met you, he'd be fine. You're a skank. If you really cared, why weren't you here yesterday?" I punch at Trace, but he won't drop me.

The door opens. I see a person enter. The next thing I know, Trace's hand is off me. I slide down the wall, breathing in air. I blink away the dots in my eyes. I look around. Ronnie has Trace pinned on the ground. Trace's head is being held down. Ronnie whispers things to him. I push myself up, still gasping for breath, and crawl over to Ronnie. I grab his arm. He looks over at me and let's Trace go.

"Don't you ever fucking touch her. I will beat you next time, and I will not stop," Ronnie says. I shake my head at Ronnie. I bend down and push Trace over.

"Trace, get up. Ronnie's just angry."

"Don't touch him. He just hurt you. If I wouldn't have come in, what would have happened?" Ronnie pauses. "What the hell were you doing in here, anyway?"

"I heard Mason got hurt."

"Is that why you were here yesterday? How do you even know him?" Ronnie asks. I stand up and grab his arm, dragging him out of the room.

"I met Mason at the bar. He came back to my house and left in the morning. That's when he got hit."

"He stayed at your house? Don't you think that's a little...dangerous? He could of stolen from you." I shake my head.

"He didn't Ronnie. Can we just leave?" He sighs.

"Whatever," he murmurs. He turns around and walks off. I walk behind him, my head down in shame. Why did Ronnie have to walk in? Could this day get any worse?