Chapter 1.2

Evabelle began to smile, but then stopped.  It may have been something so simple for someone to say, but not for Lucis, Evabelle realized.  This young man was the victim to a vindictive father who was the reason that Evabelle was where she was.  Averno was a hated man, and it was by his blood that everyone saw his two sons as potential versions of him.  They all thought that that awful man must of trained them and turned them into monsters like himself, and for some reason, it was especially seen that Lucis was like him, even though it was his other son, Del, that shared more of his physical appearance.         

Evabelle knew Lucis as the leader of their group.  He was someone who put others before himself.  He was someone who turned the other cheek when he was insulted.  He was someone who did not let his pain show, in fact, he acted as though nothing hurt him all.  Constantly, Lucis acted as though he were invincible.  A great leader for one to follow is one that does not show weakness.  But Evabelle knew that there was no one that was invincible, least of all Lucis.  Her friend, Faux, had said that he had once seen Lucis in the light of one that was impenetrable as well, but now he knew that Lucis was most certainly affected by the blows that were thrown against him.  Evabelle herself, had true confirmation of the statement.  Briefly, her mind flashed back to Lucis, smiling and helping others as they abused and scorned him.  Though his smile still shown, bloody slashes whipped across his skin at every spiteful remark.

            Evabelle shivered and felt a bit of bile rise in her throat.  She shook her head.  After pretending to feel invincible for everyone, it must be a relief to actually feel it, even if it was for just a moment.  "It's not stupid."  She whispered.

            Lucis glanced at her.  "Are you okay?"

            Evabelle blinked, realizing that she was looking at the ground with her eyes burning, as though she were about to cry.  She quickly straightened and shoved the nightmare away.  "Yeah, of course.  I really need to get back to my gardening."

            Lucis leapt to his feet and held out an arm.  "How about I help you?"

            Evabelle blinked up at him and took the outstretched hand.  "Thank you, but it's supposed to be a sort of training for me."

            Lucis pulled her to her feet, a little too quickly.  She stumbled forward and fell against his chest.  Hurriedly, she scuttled away, with her face in flames.  Lucis smiled calmly at her.  "You know you're not going to be fighting alone."

            When Evabelle's blush had receded, she looked up into those crystal blue eyes and that strong curved smile, and returned it.  "I suppose you're right."

            The pair returned to the garden, and Evabelle and Lucis finished with the rest of the flowers that Calandra had given her in a fraction of the time that it had taken Evabelle to plant the four others.  Lucis, who was normally so clean, was up past his elbows in mud, both his hair and his faces had streaks, but he still grinned and seemed perfectly content.  Evabelle sighed.  He had taken over all the dirty work as she had suspected.  It made her feel better, but also guilty.  "I'm not the right kind of princess."  Evabelle shook her head.  "You need the kind that's not afraid of getting her hands dirty."

            Lucis reached over and took her hands in his messy ones, getting the gunk all engrossed in between her fingers again.  "There you go."  He laughed.

            Evabelle pulled a face and pushed him away.  "I mean, seriously."  She rolled her eyes and began to scrape the crap off best she could. 

            Lucis closed his mouth, but kept the smile, and leaned back on his hands.  Even though he was covered in dirt, he looked rather cute.  Evabelle began to blush again, so she quickly shoved the thought.  "When you get my mud off, tell me what you see."  The Anahalian boy replied.  The teasing had left his voice.