Chapter 2.2

Aza was right. Dinner that night did not go well, but that's an understatement.

The girls entered the dining room to find that their new guest was already seated. He sat straight back against the chair, napkin folded neatly over his lap. Elatus's beach water eyes swiveled over to them and that vacant smile reattached itself. He lifted his napkin as he rose to his feet. "My ladies." He gave a slight bow.

The girls gave an awkward little nod in return as they went to their seats. Evabelle shivered a bit as she noticed the elf's eyes stray a little longer on her.

Everyone else began to file in. Faux and Del entered, Aza glaring at the dark Anahalian all the way, and Evabelle noted the smirk on his face. The two gave little reaction to their tall new visitor. Del was a little too busy enjoying Aza's anger to really care. Faux arched his eyebrow, but Elatus did not give any more introduction other than a small nod. Faux returned it and slid in next to Aza.

Next came little Gem, carrying her ever faithful cat, Jewels. Kai was close behind her. Now Evabelle really watched Elatus. The elf had watched the blind child enter with a pleasant expression, but the moment that Kai entered, his eyes narrowed and his mouth twitched. Kai was not oblivious to their guest either, once their eyes met for just a moment before Kai quickly glanced away. He instantly went stiff, and Evabelle saw him rubbing his fingers, agitatedly. Doing his best to hide his discomfort, Kai went over to his sister and eased the nearly strangled cat from his sister's grip and whispered to her, "You know how Calandra and Velrose don't like the cat in the dining room." Gem pouted but did concede to her brother, and took Jewels out.

Lucis came next. He was wet, his hair still damp from his evident shower. Evabelle was surprised. He must have been outside for a long time. The Anahalian's t-shirt stuck a bit from the condensed water around his neck down to his collarbone, accenting his wide chest and shoulders. A bit of water dripped down the side of his face. He reached up with one his large arms to wipe it away, allowing the shirt to slide up a bit, and Evabelle saw the very defined lower abs.

A soft poke in her side wrenched Evabelle's eyes from the strong Anahalian. Evabelle looked down at Aza, who was grinning. "Don't be too obvious now Missy."

Evabelle's cheeks flared. "What?" She instantly went defensive.

Aza shook her head, suppressing a giggle.

Velrose entered and had just taken his place at the head of the table, when his daughter pushed through the kitchen doors with the hovering trays of alfredo pasta, warmed french bread, and steamed vegetables. It smelled marvelous as always.

The food was lowered onto the table, a bowl and plate with the perfect amount of the undoubtedly delectable food, landed in front of each of them. Once Calandra herself had taken her seat, Velrose rose again. "As you all have noticed we have a new guest. This is Elatus Gonzor, a herald of the second Isle. He will be just staying tonight." Velrose stretched out a hand. "If you have anything else to add, Elatus,"

The elf cleared his throat and stood. "Yes, I will say that it is a pleasure to stay in such a fine establishment. The fact that all the guests are able to eat at one table feels very cozy and has a home like quality. Granted the guests here are not very inviting which is probably the reason for the lack of company."

Evabelle glanced at Velrose and Calandra. Elatus had a way with speech, but she thought it was a rather obvious criticism. Velrose's expression was blank and unreadable. Calandra was spinning her goblet between her fingers, her black eyes were slightly narrowed as she peered over the crystal glass at the elf, her agitation only slightly more noticeable.