Chapter 17.3

CJ eased himself around the demon disguised as his friend, careful not to even brush against her and entered the dark, square stone room, where two chains bolted to the ceiling and two on the floor made an x formation, so that the small child that was shackled to them had his arms splayed up above his bowed, white-blond head.  His feet, touched the floor, but his buckled knees dangled above the pavement, keeping the unconscious kid semi-suspended by the old rusted metal cuffs.

            The air in CJ's repaired lungs was sucked from them faster than the demon's kiss had taken it, and the food from the feast began bubbling in his stomach again.

He could faintly remember it.  It hadn't been long ago.  Maybe a day, or it could have been a week or two when Etheldreda had used him to go kidnap Evabelle's little brother.  He could still remember seeing the haggard woman, waving him away from coming in.  She said she would go fetch whatever Etheldreda had made up as an excuse, and told him to wait.  At the time, CJ hadn't had a clue what they were doing there.  He hadn't been fighting particularly hard.  Admittedly, he'd more or less just sat back as his body went about to do whatever the witch wanted him to.  But the moment Etheldreda had focused his eyes on the small blond boy slouching on the couch watching cartoons, with a display of half-finished drawings in front of him (most of them of a pretty brunette girl) CJ's attention had perked up.

            "You're Thom, right?"  Etheldreda had asked, using his mouth.

            The kid rolled his head back and had stared at him with glazed eyes.  "Yeah, and you're CJ, Evabelle's boyfriend."

            Etheldreda smiled as CJ tensed inwardly.  "That's right,"  Etheldreda said, making the boy trapped under his own skin fidget as he again began to fight for control.  "Hey, Thom," Etheldreda glanced around the corner before stepping into the apartment.  CJ struggled harder, trying to move himself back out.  He didn't like where this was going.  "Can you come here for a moment?"

            Thom scrunched his eyebrows.  "Why?"  He scooted to the other end of the couch, away from CJ.  Good!  Don't trust me!  CJ thought.    

            "I have a secret," Etheldreda did not move further inside.  "It's one that's just for you.  I think you'll like it."

            Thom tilted his head.  "Okay, so just tell me,"

            "I can't tell you here,"  Etheldreda shook CJ's head.  "Just come out here in the hall and I'll explain."  Etheldreda smiled.  "You'll like this, I promise."

            Thom hesitated for a moment longer, but in the end he gave a little shrug and slid off the couch.

            No!  CJ screamed silently.  Don't listen!

            But the innocent little boy did not read minds.  He stepped out into the hall followed by Etheldreda/CJ, who quietly closed the door behind them.  Then the witch crouched down to the boy's height.  "You have to promise not to tell your mom, at least, not yet."

            Thom crossed his arms.  "Why?"

            "Because then you'll ruin the surprise."  Etheldreda grinned and leaned forward to whisper in Thom's ear.  "I know where Evabelle is,"

            Thom jerked back, his mouth falling open, light blooming in the cloudy round eyes.  "What?"  His small hands shook at their sides as he brought them up to cover his mouth.  "W-Where?"

            Etheldreda straightened up and held out a hand to the child.  "I'll take you to her."

            Thom's mouth split in the most heartbreaking smile as CJ clawed against his confines.  NO!