Chapter 14.2

AZA

Jetting had to be one of the coolest things ever. If people would believe her, she would brag to them about all the amazingness that she had done ever since saving her best friend's life from flying monsters with only a purse and its contents, to going to a literal ball in a civilization made of only elves and their fantabulous chocolate berries. Even though they wouldn't believe it, she'd tell them anyway.

But jetting! Jetting was like one of those rollercoaster's where you're flung into the air so fast that your back it just plastered to your seat, but it just kept going. If only there was a rollercoaster like this! Oh, if people would believe her, then they would be so jealous.

After being told by Amy and Riley that the magic in the portal was too weak to take then back, they had debated about just staying until it was fixed, but Del had no desire to stay any longer, and Lucis didn't seem too keen either. Aza, herself, liked the thought of spending a bit more time with Kai and Gem, but she didn't want to be left behind in the kingdom of bullheaded elves that weren't so open to anyone different from them, so she had immediately swung herself into Lucis's arms and put her hand in the air. "Come on! Let's go, big fellow! Hi-yo, Silver! Away!"

Lucis had blinked at her. "Big fellow?"

Del had snorted, making them both whip around and stare at him, but his expression was an impenetrable force of impenetrableness.

A little shiver passed through Aza that made her feel unexplainably giddy that she had caused the king of darkness's barricade to fissure, even if it was quite brief.

The three of them had gathered the supplies that they would need for the trip back and at that point it had been perfectly dark, allowing them to easily fly overhead with night's cover.

The brothers had wasted no time in pushing their hyperdrive button. Lucis had barely given any warning, only telling her to hold on tight before shooting off like a bullet into the blur of the total awesome chaotic void of bliss.

As day broke they quickly found a place to land and checked into a rather questionable motel that reminded Aza of that time she had run off for a few days to see if Uncle Matt would notice and managed to con the owner into staying in one of his dank, moldy rooms for a bit of manual labor.

The little blonde would never forget when her creaky, paint-chipped door had been flung open, and a teary-eyed girl with long brown hair had bolted forward and wrapped her arms around her and sobbed into her shoulder. Aza remembered the tall, thin woman with dark hair and eyes coming in after her daughter and giving Aza one of the first real reprimanding lectures she had had in years. The lady's face was white as she shouted at Aza for being an idiot for just disappearing and running away to this filthy hole where anything could have happened to her. It was around then, that Aza had burst into tears herself. Morgan Danes had stuttered to a stop and awkwardly put her hand on her shoulder opposite to the one that Evabelle was still releasing the floodgates. But the woman hadn't understood the true reason that Aza's tears were rolling down her cheeks.

After that, Aza had learned her lesson. She never ran away again.

Until now. Aza thought as she slipped into her room, next to the boys'. She hadn't given it a single thought. She had gone where her real family was going. Evabelle was the person that Aza would follow to the ends of the earth. But it wasn't until they had been in Evabelle's room at the elf palace, getting her pretty gold dress fitted that Aza had really thought about Ms. Danes and Thom.

You know my mom, Aza. You know that she's no doubt got everyone looking for me. Aza did know Morgan. She knew that the woman would go beyond the eternities in both directions to find Evabelle. Aza didn't want to think about what this whole situation was doing to Ms. Danes and her son. But still Aza did find herself thinking a little selfishly for a moment as she stared up at the cracked ceiling, laying on her hard, lumpy mattress. She knew her own absence wouldn't mean much next to Evabelle's, but still she wondered if they thought of her too.