Chapter 13.1~A Formal Alliance

EVABELLE

If pillows could bruise, Evabelle's would be a mutilated puddle of contorting colors.  There would not be a speck of cream on the fluffy satin clouds that the elves had given her.  It would be a purple and blue splotchy patchwork, that would slowly shift to ugly greens and yellows.

However pillows did not bruise, and therefore the object that the girl continued to hurl at the unsuspecting wall, continued to bound off its surface.  It was a good thing pillows were so soft, or else the poor wall would be getting some nasty looking contusions itself; that was if walls could bruise too.

Evabelle travelled up and down the emotional rollercoaster within the hour after the man she had just confessed to had flown away from her.  At first she had continued to stare, completely frozen for what felt like a painfully long time, and then she had slowly withdrawn her hand and sunk to the floor, staring at the wall without seeing anything.  After a few minutes of that, her eyes had welled up with tears, and she had punched that wall, making her cry out.  She had stared at her hand as if it was a foreign thing to her.  She'd never punched a wall like that.  She'd never punched a wall.  But after baring ones soul and getting so close to everything, it had all been sucked away in a single second, leaving those high potent emotions right at the surface.  And the poor girl had no idea what to do with them.  After going through the numbness of catatonia and shock, the brief flash of tearful anger, she experienced varying waves of injustice, fear, confusion, and insecurity, but eventually it past all the way back around to anger.  Hence, the beating of the pillows.

Taking one last wild pitch of the fluffy headrest, Evabelle sunk to her knees again.  Sunlight warmed the room now as it beat against the girl's back.  She felt exhausted, completely drained.  The night before had been filled with dancing, sneaking, running, falling, rolling, fighting.  But then she'd had a wonderful dream and found herself finally speaking up.  Being brave.  She had been brave, only to have it all shoved in her face.

Evabelle bit her lip and looked up through another bout of stupid tears.  I can't cry all the time!  Stop thinking so negatively!  But it was a hard habit to get out of.

I saved Faux and Jamie, and started the distraction for Del and Lucis to attack.  I fought back and helped capture elves.  I wasn't too bad, either.  She thought through several deep breaths.  It was kind of working.  Yesterday we were moving toward something good.  Now, don't lose your momentum.

Placing one hand on the mattress of the bed, Evabelle pushed herself to her feet.  Lucis had been hiding something for a very long time. She had hoped to get the truth last night, but maybe it was more than she realized.  Going over to a small desk, Evabelle pulled open the single drawer and was glad to find exactly what she was looking for.

Evabelle had a feeling that whatever had Lucis the way he was, was because of his father.  Averno had been consorting with demons when that memory in her father's throne room had taken place.  Del and Lucis had been about six or seven years old at the time.  They had acted like he had been good father up until he had revealed his true colors by killing their mother and Evabelle's parents, but Evabelle wondered how much they didn't say.  She wondered if the man had done some small riddling with his children.  Had he hurt them?  Physically?  Emotionally?  Maybe he had trained them in some way, perhaps put little thoughts into their heads that had effected them.

Evabelle could now see why the other Anahalians didn't trust the brothers.  She still did, even after what Lucis had just done, but she could understand wariness that others felt.  However, she knew they had still gone about them wrongly. 

Evabelle stared down at the paper and ink bottle.  She slowly picked up the quill, and almost laughed at it.  She'd never used one of them before.  But she'd always kind of wanted to.  She opened the bottle and dipped the feather into it, but then paused.