Chapter 3.1~Demons in Our Pasts

EVABELLE

Evabelle and Aza finished their food, cleared their dishes, and began their ascent to the bedrooms. They left the Anahalians and Calandra to discuss plans over the little bit of useful information that Elatus had left with them.

The two girls were both abnormally quiet. Evabelle had expected Aza to say something, but her generally candid friend was keeping her mouth shut. Finally Evabelle broke the silence. "What are you thinking?"

Aza took a deep breath. "Kai," She said sadly. "When we were prisoners together, we talked. He said it was his own fault that he became a vampire, and that he believed he was supposed to bare that weight on his own." Aza stopped right as they reached the hallway that lead to their rooms. Evabelle took a few steps and then turned back, realizing that Aza hadn't followed. "Why do guys do that?" Aza's voice had gone up an octave, and Evabelle could just make out the slight tremor in it. "Why do guys think that they have to be so macho and keep everything to themselves?" Aza whipped her head away from Evabelle to stare out at the moonlight covered grounds, outside the gothic arched windows. Those steely eyes shone as the moonbeams bounded off those rings of fire.

Evabelle silently watched her friend. Something had happened when Aza and Kai had been locked up together in Etheldreda's castle. They had grown closer. Aza had seemed a bit more open since then, but Evabelle knew that this was much deeper. "It's not just guys." She finally said.

Aza closed her eyes.

"People keep those things hidden for a lot of different reasons. Like you said, they want to be strong, and they don't want to break down in front of people. Some think that they'll be treated differently. And then there are those that are afraid that the truth will be too much, and that others won't be able to handle it, and that they'll just leave." Evabelle murmured, taking a step back towards her friend.

Aza made a wet coughing sound in response, but then a voice behind Evabelle spoke.

"That is very true."

Both the girls jumped and stared at the tall, willowy, silvery man, shining from the light of the moon in the darkened hall.

Kai sighed. "I will add one more to that list. Shame, but I suppose you were listing fears of reactions, which I do have."

Aza strode right up to Kai. "If you think that we would think any less of you, then you're just as stupid as those brothers when they were too afraid to tell us the truth about their dad. You said that we were family, back in the cell. You remember that don't you?"

Kai nodded slowly. "Of course, I remember...it's just..." He closed his eyes for a moment, as to not look at the small blonde girl, staring him down. He shook his head and let out a heavy sigh. "I'm afraid that you will think less of me."

Evabelle shuffled uncomfortably. "You mean Aza specifically?"

Aza glanced back at Evabelle. "What?"

Kai gave another sigh. "From what I know about you Aza, this will hurt you more. You have certain experiences that you feel very..." He paused and started over. "You have very strong emotions that I'm afraid will hit a certain point when I tell you the truth."

Aza narrowed her eyes. "Try me."

Kai took a deep breath, turned away from Aza, and went to the arched windows. He sat down on one of the ledges and began. "Elves have quests, healing scouting, where, several times a year, groups of elves will go out into the world and give assistance in any way that they can. They will assist veterinarians, doctors, surgeons, but they will also go out to those in third world countries and help those who cannot afford the treatment and attention they need. Humans have caught onto this, calling them their humanitarian projects, but elves still continue the tradition." Kai closed his eyes and tightened his grip on the edge of the window. "My mother was in one of the groups. Several vampires from a distinctive clan tracked them down, killing several of the elves, including her."