Chapter- 2 The Royal Letter

Alkira's pov-

"Daimen, the file regarding information about the attack, did you bring it?" I asked with slight irritation in my voice.

He was half an hour late for our meeting. I let my eyes wander to see the people present here.

Samuel, Helen, Xavier, and Derek (Head strategist) were here, and, after his arrival, the only person left was Blake, my third in command.

Now, where was he?

Taking files from his outstretched hand, I asked in a no-nonsense voice why he was late and if he knew anything about Blake's whereabouts.

"Sorry, Alpha, I was late because I went to see Blake. He is not here because his mate went into labor an hour ago."

"Poor Blake! He must be getting restless and panicking." Helen exclaimed, worried about the three of them.

"After this meeting, visit him and tell him to take a week off from his duties. He can join us later. We all know that it was a rare pregnancy as Seline is human. She needs him right now." He visibly relaxed when I didn't say anything else. "But you could have informed me or anyone else via our link, and if you didn't, you would be punished for that."

"What will be my punishment, Alpha?" He asked, a bit nervous.

"Nothing much you have to look after his work until he returns."

"Okay."

"Good. Now take your seat, and let's get this meeting started."

The meeting was long over, and I was sitting in my office looking through some papers when a golden envelope caught my eye. I took the envelope and flipped it. My eyes were fixed on the red seal with a crown carved in it.

'A letter from the council.' My wolf stated curiously. I was also intrigued.

"Why would there be a letter from the council?" I spoke out loud.

I took the letter opener and opened it. I was so engrossed in reading the letter that I didn't even notice when Ana entered the room.

"What's with that serious look?"

I looked up and saw her face, eyes filled with curiosity. I held out the letter for her to take and read. She started reading the letter, and I saw the waves of emotions that crossed her face.

"Red moon! But it is in 4 months," She said with a shaky breath.

"Yeah, I know."

"We haven't officially announced to other packs that you are our new Alpha. You are not turning twenty-two till another six months to make that announcement, but for us, you are our Alpha. We will love it if you represent our pack in the meeting." She said, feeling a bit deflated on my part.

"I know I won't be able to represent our pack, but I will go with Samuel to learn the ropes and other things I need to know."

After a silence of a maximum of two minutes, she blurted out what was worrying her.

"But without your title, how would you face him? You have to show that ass**** that you are enjoying your life without him. You don't need him in your life."

Ana continued with her rant, her voice raising an octave as she called my mate any name she could think of. Finally, when she noticed that I was sitting quietly and not responding in any way, she stopped her monologue and stared.

"How are you so calm when I am freaking out?" she was bewildered at my tranquil appearance. If the truth is to be told, I don't know why I wasn't freaking out.

Maybe I had finally made peace with myself and that I had to face him at some point. I have understood for some time that he wouldn't be the mate I always wished for, that his appearances and advances wouldn't ever be welcomed again in my life. His sweet talk and promises of love were as bogus as they could get. He won't ever fool me again. I have seen his true nature and won't forgive him for his sins, not in this life, not ever.

"I don't need to show anything to anyone, certainly not him."

"Fine, but I am worried about you. How will you handle yourself when you see him there?" She implored hesitantly.

"I will. Don't worry. Now tell me why you are here. It's not that I don't like your presence. I have lots of paperwork to do."

"Well, I came to tell you that Seline gave birth to a baby girl. There will be a huge party to welcome her as our newest pack member. Her naming ceremony will also take place tonight. This will be your first function as our brand new Alpha, and everybody is looking forward to it."

I already knew about the party but forgot the last part where I had to be there as Alpha. Now, I was not an ordinary pack member, but their Alpha and Alphas give speeches. I was already worried about the party, but now I was freaking out at the prospect of addressing the pack.

"You need to get ready, and we have to go dress shopping. So I came here to drag you out of this box so we can do all this in time."

"I just told you I have paperwork to do. You go on and have fun." I tried to hide my anxiousness but failed miserably.

"Kira, this is our pack, our people. You don't need to worry a bit. I know you haven't gone to a party since that incident, but you can't escape this. You are our Alpha. Pack members will wonder if their Alpha won't show up. They will be worried thinking about why that is. I am here, and so do Daimen, Helen, Xavier, and Samuel. We understand your concern, but you must do this for yourself and us."

I smiled at her encouraging words and gave a nod.

She squealed and dragged me by hand out of the office to god knows where and for how many hours that will be?!

I look at the table with piles of paper to work on and mind-link Daimen to do them for me.

Smirking inwards, I patted myself on the shoulder for this small accomplishment and continued after Ana. She adds color to my black-and-white life. I shudder at the prospect of the endless changing sessions that I have to endure but smile, knowing that, despite the torture, I will enjoy her exasperated reactions to my weird dress choices to spite her and, in the end, she will get me what she thinks is good for me and it will look fabulous as always.

Life indeed feels good when you have a crazy best friend to break the boring normalcy of pack work.