Bummer of a Summer

As the days moved on, more and more furniture was popping up around the house. I was so thankful that we moved during the summer, but then again I made no friends to hang out with. Scotty has been talking about this kid that he's talked to a couple times, but I knew we both were going to have a hard time finding friends and something to do. When I woke up this morning, I rushed downstairs and ate breakfast so I could finish decorating my room. I wanted everything to be perfect in my room, and I kind of got lazy, but today I felt motivated to decorate the whole room. When I was eating in the kitchen, I heard steps running up the stairs.

"How's your small room?" I hear a small, sarcastic voice.

"Says the boy who cried over it the day we moved in." I snap back.

"I was not!" He shouts back.

"Mhm, of course." I reply again.

"You two stop." I hear my aunt Cindy's voice as she walks in the kitchen.

I liked my aunt, but sometimes I really didn't like her. She feels like a stepmom, though I've never had one. But I've seen plenty of movies and I can tell that she treats me like a stepchild, she's not mean, she's just too nice. My uncle is a bit harder, but not too hard. He's very hard on Scotty though, always wanting him to try to get into sports, but he's never been intrigued by them, unlike me. This year was my 8th grade year of school, and I played varsity and basketball, while being one of the quickest girls in my school for track, doing almost all of the sprinting events, and even played in a small softball league in my hometown.

This year will be hard finding a new softball team, if they even have one. I asked my uncle Bill if he could help me find a team towards the end of summer, and he agreed, then he gave Scotty another lecture.

"Hey mom there's this sandlot near our neighborhood, you think I can go and see if I can play some baseball?"

"Sure just be back-

"Scotty's playing baseball!" I hear not only my voice interrupt my aunt's sentence, but my uncle says it too.

Scotty slowly nods in confusion.

"That's awesome!" Uncle Bill says.

"Yeah, I can give you some pointers if you-

"No no no." He cuts me off then runs downstairs.

"Yes." I hear Uncle Bill say under his breath.

"What, glad to see your son playing a sport?" I say.

"Yes. Katie he's going to gain more friends if he can bond with them athletically. I'm not trying to make our kid a star athlete, it's just if he can play at least one sport, he can make friends."

"Are those your tactics to make friends?" I ask before shoving eggs in my mouth.

I hear footsteps pound before Scotty enters the kitchen. I see his plastic glove in his hand, then see his apparel, with are a weird fabric looking like jean shorts, a nice collard shirt, and his favorite hat with a humongous visor.

My Uncle and I stare at him.

"Do you, need- uh...a ride before I go to work." He asks Scotty.

"Nope I'm fine." He replies.

Uncle Bill grabs his stuff and gives hugs to Cindy and I before going to work.

"Alright I'm going mom." Scotty says.

"Do you not want any breakfast?" Cindy questions.

Scotty shakes his head.

"I'll be back soon."

"Really soon." I laugh as I put my plate in the sink.

"Katie." She frowns.

"Sorry." I reply.

"Bye." Scotty yells as he sprints away.

I don't know who will befriend Scotty and decided that he could play baseball but if someone does, they are insane.