This Magic Moment

I run to the sandlot, and have no idea what I'm going to do myself. Then I remember what Benny does by himself here. When I get there, I drop everything on the ground in the dugout and sit down, thinking.

I guess I should throw again, I can't really self toss well. I grab everything and run over to set it next to home plate. It's kind of annoying, throwing the ball, running over to get it, going back to the mound.

I threw it against the backstop a few times, and I was already bored.

I knew nobody was going to be here, not even Benny, the sun was getting close to setting. I run over to the backstop and pick up my ball, then walk back.

"You need an extra player?" In shock, I turn around to see Benny.

"Please, it sucks running back and fourth." I say.

"You want to hit?" I ask.

"Sure."

He grabs his bat and adjusts in the batter's box.

"Ready?" I question.

"Yep." I throw a soft pitch to him, and as it gets closer and closer to the plate, he catches it with his bare hand.

"You can throw harder than that you know?" He throws it back to me.

"Right." I reply.

I walk and adjust myself on the mound. I look up and throw a ball much harder. Benny swings and hits a line drive along third base.

"Geez that was faster than DeNunez's heater." He said.

I run and retrieve the ball. I feel so out of shape as I run back, panting.

"Have you ever tried a curve or a change?" Benny asks.

"No not really, I never really was a pitcher."

"Well you should've been." He whispers, running over to me.

"Here, so do you know how to throw them?"

"I know how to throw a change, but not a curve."

He pauses.

"So your middle and pointer finger are both going to go along that right lace and your thumb kinda has to rest below the ball for support but make sure it's the side of it."

I move my fingers around frantically and confused. He laughs watching me struggle.

"Yeah I have no idea what I'm doing." I chuckle.

He laughs again.

"Here let me show you."

I hand him the ball and he adjusts his fingers on it and shows me.

"Oh, yeah I was way off." I say.

He hands me the ball and I try to copy how he did it.

"Is this right?" I show him my fingers along the ball.

"Yeah, almost."

He puts his hand over mine and moves my middle finger and pointer finger closer together and puts my thumb under the ball. He says things as he's moving my fingers but I just nod.

"Perfect." He says, letting go.

He runs over and picks up his bat.

"Okay so the first time you do this it's really hard and it may not curve. So I'll stand in the box so that it can be a live situation, but I won't hit the ball."

"Okay." I say.

Benny gets in the box looking at me, waiting for my pitch. I throw the ball, hoping I won't completely fail and hit his face.

When I release the ball, I cross my fingers. I don't exactly pay attention to the ball, I just wait for Benny and his expression.

The ball hits the backstop and Benny looks up at me, mouth gaped like he was looking at Wendy Peffercorn.

"Last time you made that face you were checking out Wendy Peffercorn." I smile.

"Katie, that literally looked like it was going to hit me and then at the last second it went right to the outside."

"Well isn't that what a curveball is?" I say with a hint of sarcasm.

"I'm serious, that was the best curve I've ever seen."

Benny and I play and play, he continues to hit while I pitch. I soon get tired of running to get his hits so I think of something new

"Benny, how about we play it live?"

"You mean I hit it and run the bases?"

"Yep."

"Sure then."

"Okay, but don't try to hit a homer please. Hit something that is fair." I say.

"Fine." He groans.

I get ready to turn and run after I throw this pitch, so I decide to throw a change as my first pitch.

I stand at the mound, giving him an evil stare, and he delivers one back. I keep smiling though, I'm not very good at giving stare-downs.

I throw my change and then turn and run. Benny hits way passed second base. I sprint and try catching up with it. Soon, I get it and turn to see Benny heading towards second. I dash after him, sprinting faster than I ever had before.

Benny was the fastest kid I've ever seen, so I end up being behind him. I have the ball in my glove ready to reach out and tag him, but he keeps gaining speed. We both round third, and I realize I won't get him if I keep running.

I take my last step and jump, reaching my glove out as far as I can. I feel my glove push against his back, but then I feel my whole body 'tag' him. I can tell he slowed down because my body knocked him down.

He somehow turned himself around so that we were in the same position as we were the night of the campout. I try to find words to say once again.

"You're out." I breath out with a laugh.

He doesn't say anything but stare into my eyes. Suddenly I feel his hands cup against the side of my head and they pull me towards his face. I feel our lips crash together and they stay there for a while.

My right hand that was against his chest grabbed his shirt, while I threw the glove out of my left hand and grabbed his shirt.

I keep my eyes closed and embrace the kiss. Once we slowly pull back, I peek my eyes open and release the grip from Benny's shirt.

"I think I was safe." Benny smiles.

"Umpire called it an out, nobody argues with the ump." I smile back.

I swiftly roll off him and pull him up. I just kissed Benny Rodriguez, it was my first kiss, and it was beyond amazing.