Sneeky

"It's no one, aunt Cindy." I say blankly.

"Katie honey, are you hot?" She says with a big smile.

"Um, no why?"

"Your face is extremely red sweetie." Now she's laughing.

"Aunt Cindy, it's nobody." I grunt

"And that's because this place is hot." I say quietly.

"Of course it is."

"But um, so the boys were gonna have like this hangout thing tonight in Timmy and Tommy's treehouse. Do you think me and Scotty can go?"

"It's called a camp out Katie." I hear Scotty behind me.

"Whatever, but can we go, please." I beg.

"Yes."

Me and Scotty meet eyes and smile.

"Is this a sleepover or just a hangout?"

"Well, it's a sleepover. But I'm not sure if I want to have a sleepover with nine boys."

"I agree."

"But if I were would that be okay?"

"Yes, but if not, you need to be home by 8:00, if you come any later, the doors will be locked and uncle Bill and I will be asleep."

"Okay."

I went upstairs wondering what to bring. I found my sleeping bag and slipped on something presentable enough to wear but comfy enough to sleep in.

I thought about bringing my glove in case, but it's not we were going to play any baseball in a tree house, but then again the sandlot was literally on the other side of their house, so I brought it and a ball.

When I was done I heard Scotty yelling my name, which meant that he was obviously ready.

"I'm coming!" I shout, running down the stairs.

"Bye mom, bye dad!" Scotty yells before leaving.

"Bye! Katie, remember what I told you!"

"I know!." I yell before taking off.

...

When me and Scotty arrived, we climbed into the claustrophobic tree house. Ham was in the corner making s'mores, while all the other boys were tackling each other.

Scotty told me Squints was going to tell us the story of the beast, which was a ginormous man-eating dog, that would kill anything on it's turf.

Soon enough, Squints got everyone to shut up and he shined a flashlight right below his face before telling the story. None of it made sense quite frankly. As I looked over at the boys, I was expecting them to be laughing at this joke, but Yeah-Yeah held his BB gun close to him, and DeNunez held his bat like a scared little boy in a horror movie.

After the story, Scotty claimed none of it to be true, so the boys told him to stick his head out of the tree house and to look in the backyard that belonged to the beast.

Scotty peeked his head out of the opening of the tree house. After a few minutes he jumped, and whispered harshly,

"He's in there!"

All of them nodded and I laughed as hard as I could into my sleeping bag.

After having tons of s'mores and telling a bunch of stories, the boys decided to go to bed, and I found out it was 9:00. I guess I have to sleep with nine boys, oh boy.

We all set out our sleeping bags, and I pushed my way over to the corner of the tree house so I didn't have to be between two hyperactive, immature spazzes. Ham blew out our light source, and his fire that cooked his s'mores. I stared at the ceiling, the loud noises and voices soon got quieter.