Worst Timing Ever

This morning I woke up, my face feeling numb and sore, and of course all of the pain centered in my nose. I woke up and went to my bathroom, staring at the swollen side of my face and my nose that looks odder shaped than usual.

I decide to take a shower to see if it would at least take my mind off the pain. I start to take off my clothes and I forgot that I didn't bring in new clothes to change into. I walk across the hallway and head in my room, closing the door behind me. I hear Scotty's voice awfully close to my room, but he knows better than to come in.

"Katie?" I hear Scotty say my name as he turns the handle to the door. I turn around, frozen in my undergarments. I can see Scotty and Benny standing together.

"Oh my gosh Scotty get out!" I unfreeze and as soon as Scotty and Benny see me Scotty slams the door.

"Oh crap!" Scotty shouts.

I dress in my new clothes and walk out the door, not seeing Scotty or Benny. I hear them talking downstairs.

"But yeah, that's my house. Except I didn't plan on showing you my sister almost naked." Scotty says.

"It's cool." Benny replies.

It's cool? What? Does that mean he was cool with seeing me half naked or it was cool as in, he forgave Scotty for exposing myself in front of them. I go into the bathroom as quiet as I can and turn off my shower.

"Why do you call her that anyway?" Benny continues.

"What? You mean calling her my sister?"

"Well yeah, you're cousins right?"

"Yeah I guess but- wait how'd you know?"

"Katie told me." Benny states.

"Oh, well, I don't really know why I call her my sister. I mean sometimes she calls me her brother. Her parents abandoned her when she was just a baby, so I guess since she's been growing up with us for so long, we're considered her family."

"Do you and her fight like siblings?" Benny asks.

"Are you kidding, we fight more than an actual siblings. You really don't mess with her, like I'm not kidding Benny."

"I know, I saw her tackle Phillips, even though Phillips is a scrawny, idiotic, asshole."

"Man you really don't like him do you?" Scotty questions.

"Not at all, I mean I did hate him, but after what he did to Katie, it made me and him enemies, and I still want to get back at him for what he did."

"Benny, do you like Katie?"

I peek out the door and get closer to the railing on the stairs, but I keep hidden.

"What?" Benny turns his head towards Scotty.

"Do you like her?"

"Why do you want to know?" He asks.

"Because she likes y-

"Scotty are you ready? We should probably go, right Benny?" I run downstairs while interrupting Scotty, and I was about to thump him hard.

"Shoot. Yeah we should hurry." Benny says quietly.

We all head out, and run to the sandlot.

When we arrive, all the boys are sitting in the dugout, groaning and complaining. Ham walks over to Benny, drinking his pop.

"This pop isn't working Benny......I'm baking like a toasted cheeser! It's so hot here!" He groans.

"It's 150 degrees out there, you can't play baseball. You gotta call it for the day." Squints pipes in.

"You gotta listen to him, Benny." Even Bertram was supporting the boys.

"Vote then. Anybody who wants to be......a "can't hack it" pantywaist.....who wears their mama's bra, raise your hand." Benny said proudly as he leaned back with a grin, waiting to see none of the boys' hands move a muscle, making them all agree to play baseball.

In a split second, all the boys shot up their hands.

"Yeah, I can handle that." Says Squints, along with the other boys chattering in agreement.

Benny shakes his head.

"Fine, fine, fine!" Benny shouts.

"Be like that. So what are we gonna do?" He asks.

The boys are silent, until Yeah-Yeah's evil laugh sparks, and all the boys know what's up. In seconds, they all say at the same time,

"Scam pool honeys!"

And like that, Benny mumbled, 'fine' and all the boys ran home to get towels and change.

Scotty and I looked at each other in confusion, then looked at Benny.

"We are going to the pool." He said blankly.

"Cool let's go!" Scotty yells, yanking my arm before taking off.

"Scotty wait!" I run behind him, and I can feel Benny shortly behind me.