Take Your Base

"Hey Rodriguez! Are we gonna play baseball or are you gonna go to the dugout and make out with your lover?"

Benny and I turn.

"You know Phillips it puzzles me because you talk so much shit, but last time I checked, your team hasn't beat us once. And correct me if I'm wrong Katie, we've played them six times this summer?"

"Five or six I believe." I smile.

"Shut it Rodriguez, you carry that whole f'ing on your shoulders. If you left those guys for ONE inning they'd get killed Rodriguez. You may be a star player, but your team is just a bunch of unwanted, misfit outcasts looking for something to do, trying to fit in as best they can."

"If we're talking about unwanted misfits, Phillips should be one of them." Ham says walking to the field with the gang.

"I mean hell dude, you're such a mistake your birth certificate is an apology from the condom factory."

We all stood with our mouths gaping, and Phillips shook his head, not knowing what to say or do.

"You guys gonna play ball or is this just gonna be a insulting session?"

"Let's just beat their asses and go home." I say heading to the dugout.

Soon the game begins and I frantically look for Bill when Benny goes up to bat. Nothing. With the crack of the bat against the ball, Benny smashes a triple.

"Great, an amazing hit that Bill missed." I muttered.

"Katie, you're on deck!" Scotty shouts at me.

"Oh shit." I grab a bat and head to the deck circle.

I swirl my foot in the chalk and the dirt, thinking if Bill would ever show up and watch. After DeNunez's single I walk up to batter's box.

"Hey time out real quick!" Phillips says running to his catcher.

The catcher walks a few steps in front of me before talking to Phillips. I hear him murmur a few things. When he stops talking, his eyes meet mine and he winks.

"You're disgusting."

"Oh Katie don't act like you don't like me. I know you do."

"Listen I would really like to insult you or hurt you, but I feel it would be best for me not to embarrass you in front of your teammates. And besides, I think your ego already got its ass kicked pretty bad."

I hear the catcher chuckle.

"Shut up Alex. And as for you Katie, I hope you're not planning on getting a hit or even getting on base."

"Oh I'm scared I think I should quit now, what do you think Alex?" I laugh as I adjust myself in the batter's box.

I do exactly what Benny taught me, which was to relax. Phillips smirks as he throws the ball against his mitt. His feet slowly step to the mound, making me want to tense up, but I try to stay as relaxed as possible. As he winds up, I'm ready to crush this ball. He whips his arm and releases it.

 Soon my body tenses, because the ball literally heads straight for me. I turn my body and neck as fast as I could, but I feel the ball nail the side of my face. At that moment, I closed my eyelids tight, and fell on my hands and knees before laying on my back while I held the left of my face. The only thing I could hear was the ringing pounding my eardrums, and a voice yelling,

"You son of a bitch!"

Little did I know that I would go out cold.