Meeting Him

I woke up the next day, ready to show some boys that Scotty needs to be respected. I wake Scotty up at 8:00 and tell him to get ready.

Before we leave, I play catch with him in the backyard so he can get warmed up. Though I'm the one playing.

It was a nightmare teaching him how to catch, and soon enough, Scotty got hit straight in the eye. We put a piece of meat on it and the swelling went down, but the purple color sure didn't fade at all.

We headed towards the Sandlot and arrived just in time. The boys just started.

"They are good aren't they." Scotty said.

I nodded, for some misfits, they were the sharpest team I've ever seen. I soon see Scotty wave to something and look over to see who he was waving at. It was him, the only boy who didn't bully my cousin.

"Scotty!" I take the wrist of his waving hand and pull down hard like a lever.

"What?!"

"Great now I'm going to have to play." I say to myself.

"I thought you said you'd play anyways." Scotty says.

"Well yeah, but, I'm kinda nervous, I didn't think they were this good."

When I look away from Scotty, I see a boy run over, him. Great. As he gets closer and closer I get more nervous.

"Hey, it's Scott, right?" The boy questions.

"Scott or Scotty, either one." He replies.

He nods and looks at me.

"This your sister?" He points while still taking to Scotty.

"Cousin." I reply.

"Cool, are you gonna play Scotty?" He asks.

"Well, my glove is busted so, not today."

"Here."

I see him reach behind his back and pull out a glove. He tosses it to him.

"Uh, Katie. Aren't you gonna......" Scotty shoves me.

"What? Go out there and play." I reply.

"Katie, what about-

"Scotty......go, play" I say through my clenched teeth.

Benny stares at us in confusion.

"You gonna play, or will your sister have to play for you?" Benny chimed in.

"My sister wanted to pl-

I cover my hand over his mouth.

"Quit yacking and go play Scotty." I
bark through my teeth again.

This is the most awkward situation I have ever been in.

"Benny!" I hear a boy yell from the field.

"Are you gonna flirt, or play some ball?!" He yells.

"Shut it Squints!" He exclaimed back at him.

"Well, um I'm going to go Scotty." I reply.

I turn and slowly walk away. As I do I hear Benny talk to Scotty.

"Why did your cousin bring you? She's your cousin right?"

"Yeah, but I don't know why she brought me, she wanted to play, but then got too nervous, I'm not sure honestly."

Great. I shut my eyelids tightly, wishing Scotty never said that. I can't believe I was so cocky and thought I'd show these boys who's boss.