The Fourth (Part 2)

"Perfect!" I hear my aunt shout downstairs.

I peek out my door and head to the top of the stairs to see three plates of cookies, brownies, giant bowls of what looked like dip, and a huge cake.

"Wow, did you make all of this?!" Scotty says running in the kitchen.

"Yep."

I see Scotty reach for a cookie.

"Ah! No." Aunt Cindy slaps Scotty's hand.

"Ow, fine."

I run back in my room to finish getting ready. I put on jean shorts and a Dodgers jersey (as usual). It was actually hard to believe how many jerseys I had. But now wasn't the time to count, and I dashed into my bathroom to finish curling the last pieces of hair. I usually wear the basic makeup of eye shadow and mascara but today I put on some powder and blush. As soon as I was done curling my hair, I hear a knock on the door. I run into my room and slip on my shoes before going downstairs.

"You guys ready?" Benny asks.

"Yep." Scotty and I reply as I run downstairs.

"Sweet, let's go." Benny heads for the door.

"Hey mom, we are going!" Scotty shouts.

"Alright be careful. 9:30 Scotty, that means you too Katie!"

I dash out the door right behind Benny. The sky is darkening, the weather is perfect, warm but with a cool breeze. All the tables are piled with hot dogs and food. We all try to round up the game to make it to the sandlot in time before the fireworks.

"Ham c'mon we have to go!" I turn to see Scotty tugging on Ham's arm, while the other is shoving hot dogs in his mouth.

"Ha-am!" I shout, holding a box of girl scout cookies.

"Are those girl scout cookies?!" He drops all of his hot dogs and runs after me.

I turn and sprint ahead to Benny. Ham is almost right behind me, and I don't think I've ever seen him run that fast, ever. The kid looked like he was gonna maul me. Without realizing, I had run past Benny, who now had thought we were racing. Benny catches up to me, but I sprint harder and faster. I see the opening to the sandlot and don't stop running. So much chaos is happening and I'm sprinting to a sandlot with a box of girl scout cookies on the Fourth of July. When I finally reach the field, I see Benny, but then I see Ham, full on sprinting to me. I take the box of cookies and toss them to Ham, who catches them with a smile and slowly opens the box, licking his lips.

"I think I know how we can get Ham to run faster." I laugh.

"Oh yeah." Benny smiles.

"Wait till you see the fireworks tonight, it's gonna be awesome." Benny and I run to home plate.

"C'mon guys hurry!" Benny shouts.

The gang soon gets in their positions.

Ham stands in the center of home and before pulling down his catchers mask he yells, "Let's play some ball boys!"

"And girl." He whispers before pulling down his mask.

I get on deck and lean against the fence. Benny steps up to the plate and DeNunez steps on the mound. Right before the ball releases from his fingertips, I hear pops and cracks behind me. Benny swings, and a beautiful sound comes from his bat. The ball soars above Scotty's head, and as I try to track down the ball, bright lights stop me. My body freezes, I stand in complete awe. The sky is dark, and the fireworks were absolutely astonishing.

I see the ball hit a few feet in front of Scotty, but I continue to watch as the fireworks shine, different colors explode in the air. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Benny rounding third. The fireworks continue on and on. I hear footsteps slowly run up to me.

"See? Awesome right?"

"Amazing." I say.

I turn to him, our faces are only inches apart.

"But this year was better then any other one." He says.

"Why?"

"Because this year, I have you."

I smile, and our lips seal together as the last of the fireworks erupt in the sky. I've had three boyfriends in my lifetime. And I knew, this one, would last.