The Escape

"Are you ready?" Benny says standing next to my door.

I nod as I slip on my shoe and head towards him. Benny creases the door open, peaking his head out. I hear a conversation going on downstairs.

"Mom, dad, you guys have to see what I set up downstairs, it's awesome."

"Scott, I'm busy right now son."

"C'mon dad it'll only take a few seconds."

I hear both my uncle and aunt agree and walk with Scotty. Benny closes the door to avoid Cindy and Bill seeing Benny and I. Benny nods his head at me, asking if I'm ready.

"Let's go." I whisper.

As soon as we hear footsteps downstairs, Benny carefully opens the door. He cautiously steps out and I close the door quietly behind me. He steps forward towards the stairs.

"It's clear." He whispers.

We tip toe down the stairs, being as quiet as we ever could. We hear voices getting louder, me and Benny look at each other with wide eyes and  I quickly leave out the door. I run out and hide behind Bill's car, waiting for Scotty and Benny. 

"Alright, by mom!" I hear Scotty's voice as the door.

Immediately I decide this is a perfect time to make Scotty pee his pants.

"AHHH!" I jump in front of Benny and Scotty.

Benny flinches while Scotty screams like a little girl. I burst into laughter and Benny soon laughs with me.

"Funny, very funny." He mumbles.

"Scotty what are you-

I hear Cindy open the door and step outside. Benny grabs my waist and pulls me to the ground, covering my mouth with his hand. He puts his finger over his lips as he lays on top of me.

"Scotty what happened?!"

Benny hops up and walks towards Scotty.

"Sorry Mrs. Smalls, I uh scared Scotty."

"I know how you boys are. But people are sleeping boys so keep quiet until you get to the fair okay?"

"Yes mom sorry." Scotty replies.

I hear the door open and close before Benny pulls me up.

"Don't ever do that again." Benny smiles.

"Sorry." I laugh.

Soon we meet up with the gang at the fair, Squints doesn't bother talking to any of us, his mind is focused on finding Wendy. When Benny bought our tickets, I saw Bertram get out something I never expected.

"What is tobacco?" Scotty says.

I palm my face, waiting for Ham to yell.

"You're killing me Smalls!" Ham takes a handful and shoves it in his mouth.

"You chew it!" Tobacco flies from his mouth.

All the boys shove a handful in their mouth before going on the ride.

"C'mon Katie, aren't you gonna have some?" DeNunez shouts.

I stare at the bag, then take a very small handful.

"C'mon Katie." Yeah-yeah shouts.

"You guys are going to throw up going on that thing with two wads of chew in your mouth." I say.

They all laugh then run and get on the ride.

"They say it like I'm joking." I mutter.

We all get on the ride, and the boys get their own seat while I sit next to Benny, but I make him sit on the outside. As it starts, I already feel my stomach get queasy. I spit the tobacco on the ground before the ride gets more intense.