School Countdown: T-7 Days

The days towards my first day of high school were slowly creeping up on me. I was doing all I could to soak up the days of summer. Whether that was playing at the sandlot or being with Benny. After my hit to the head the doctor said I shouldn't be involved in any physical activity that makes me feel light headed. I loved being with Benny, it was like being with a best friend and never getting sick of them. Even when I was young in New York I had best friends, but none of them were like this. I began to get more and more comfortable with him. Aunt Cindy got sick of it one day when I got home. 

"Katie honey, can I talk you in the kitchen for a minute please?"

I slump over to her after I walk inside. 

"Now I know you're tired of me talking about your "friend situation" but-

"Aunt Cindy please, I have good friends."

"I know please just hear me out this time." 

I knew she was serious this time because she actually stopped preparing whatever dinner she was going to cook tomorrow, AND took off her apron. 

"Okay......" I wait for her lecture.

"To be honest Katie, I never understood why you hung out with those boys all the time. I wanted you to be around girls, to be around a group that was like you. I know there isn't girls like that here, and surprisingly there was in New York, you were lucky. For a while I kinda thought when you hung around those boys all the time, I thought- well......

I raise my eyebrows and chuckle a bit.

"Aunt Cindy I'm not gay." 

"I know I know. I figured when Mrs. Rodriguez told me about Benny." She laughs.

"Okay well then what's the problem?" I get more serious.

"Katie, I know those boys are so fun to hang around with, but think about it. By the time school starts, all of those boys will see some other friends, and they'll hang out with them a bit more. I feel like you're going to be left out and I know you have Benny, but it really wouldn't hurt if you had someone else to talk to."

For once in my life, I think I actually agreed with Cindy.

"Yeah I guess that's not a bad point." I say quietly.

"I just want you to try to find a girl who has at least one thing in common with you. Just one, you don't have to be great friends either, just someone-

"I know Aunt Cindy. I'll work on it okay?" I smile.

"Perfect, now get to bed, you need to start going to sleep early so you'll be able to wake up early for school next week."

"Oh god, please don't mention the S word yet." I groan as I go upstairs.

As I walk upstairs, I still couldn't believe how well that talk went. I mean seriously, I feel like every time we get into a conversation it escalates to an argument. She was right though, lately I feel like having a girl friend to talk to wouldn't be such a bad thing. As walk in my room and turn my light on I see Benny standing in the middle of my room.

"HOLY SHI-

Benny runs and covers my mouth. 

"Katie are you okay?!" I hear Aunt Cindy yell from downstairs.

Benny uncovers my mouth and puts his finger to his lips.

"Yeah I just saw this big spider." I look at him in such confusion as the words slip from my mouth.

I shut my door and look at him angered.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I whisper harshly.

"What this isn't romantic?" I see him hold out a bundle of flowers.

"Not when you stand in the middle of my room staring at me like a serial killer when I turn on my lights." 

"Really, I looked like a serial killer? I thought I had a sexy smolder goin' on?" He raises his eyebrows at me. 

"Oh lord." I palm my face.

"Thank you by the way." I say as I take the flowers.

He sits on the edge of my bed as I set the flowers on my desk.

"Why'd you bring me these?" I asked.

"I don't know actually, I just thought that's what girls like to be given by boyfriends."

I shake my head and laugh while thanking him again.

"What, I just get a thank you?"

"I'm sorry how rude of me," This was probably the most sarcastic comment I've ever said to him,

"Benjamin Rodriguez, these flowers are beyond compare! Please have sex with me it's the only way I can reward you for such an gift!" I press my hands over my heart dramatically while gazing toward the ceiling. 

"You know someday I'm going to ignore your sarcastic comments and take them literally smart ass."

"How do you know that was sarcasm?" I wink.

He smiles before locking lips with mine.

I push away for a minute, looking at him with a suspecting look.

"You didn't just buy those to get to like, second base with me though, did you?"

"No."

"Benny?"

"Katie, I swear."

"Fine." I smile.

"Well sorry to break it to you but you're not hitting any doubles tonight." I smile.

"What? It's only 9:30." 

"Yes but school starts in a week, and I'm going to come to school and be a total grump if i don't get enough sleep."

"Alright you goody-goody." He shoves me. 

"Goodnight Benny." I give him one last kiss before he leaves out the window.

I start to get ready for bed before I hear him call my name.

"Hey Katie!"

"What."

"Soooo the guys were wanting to do something.....fun, before summer ends."

"Like what kind of fun?" I say laughing. 

"We don't know yet, come up with something." 

Before I can say anything, he ducks his head under my window and rushes home.