Pre-Game Routine

This was it, today was the day that determined my future with Benny. The game was at noon so I got up at nine-thirty to get ready.

"What time do you have to leave work Bill?" I ask, buttoning up my shirt as I walk downstairs.

"Well I got a late shift today, so I'll be working from two-thirty till about nine o'clock, why?"

"That's perfect, you can see Benny play."

"Katie I'm not going to-

"YOU made a deal."

He looks at me, slowly squinting as he takes a drink of coffee.

"Fine, but if I lose interest I'm leaving immediately."

"That's fine with me." I say confidently

"And you can no longer see Benny." He adds.

Again, I nod. After hearing a bang come from downstairs, I go and see what Scotty is up to. As I walk into his room, I see boxes sprawled across his floor, and under them, lies a boy, groaning.

"Having a little trouble?" I ask, lifting up the boxes of clothes and old toys.

"Yeah." He breaths out.

"What are you doing anyways?"

"I'm trying to find my hat."

I look at him with nothing more than confusion and annoyance.

"Isn't it on your head?"

"No Katie, my old hat, the one I'm wearing is Benny's, and he wants it back. Says it'll give him good luck."

"Man, he must be really nervous about today." I whisper.

"Yeah I know right? But I don't see why he shouldn't, if he can't play or doesn't play his best, we could be in some big trouble."

"Well it's a little more than that Scotty."

"What? What do you mean?"

"What I mean is that Benny isn't just playing to win, he's playing for me."

"Doesn't he always play for you? Katie I don't get what's the big-

"If Benny and you guys lose, and Benny doesn't play like he normally does, then Benny and I, well- we just,"

"What?"

"We can't ever see each other, again. Ever."

"Katie who says you can't be with Benny if we lose?"

"Your father."

"Dad said you couldn't be with him if he doesn't play well?"

"Yep."

Scotty stands there, silence consumes him. Soon I can't help but tear up.

"He won't be able to see me, ever." I cry.

Scotty looks at me, then the ground.

"I love him Scotty."

He jerks up his head.

"I can't lose him."

Before I keep crying, Scotty grabs my shoulders.

"Look Katie, Benny is the best damn ball player there is, and he's the strongest kid I've met for that manner. I'm going to do whatever it takes to win this game. Do you understand?"

The corners of my mouth shoot up before I nod my head. I wrap my arms around him, embracing every second. I wipe my cheeks before remembering something that I shouldn't have forgotten.