21 - Caught in Action

Sorry this took so long! I wrote it then restarted it because I ddin't like the beginng. :) Enjoy!

___________________________________________

I didn’t sleep a wink that night.

            Thoughts just replayed back and forth in my mind. I thought about how pissed off Dill and Lauren are now, how I had already gotten revenge on Sean but yet we’re still continuing with this ‘relationship’, and about the many times that Jace and I had almost kissed for real. But the biggest thing that kept me up was the words that Kayla told me. What does she mean? Was she just playing with my head like she always does?

            Maybe she’s smarter than I give her credit for…

            The next morning I let Jace drive me to school—Dillon left an hour before school even started probably in an effort not to talk to me—and while we walked down the hallways hand-in-hand, no one looked at us weird which meant that the whole fake relationship thing is still going strong.

            “Is anything different back home?” Jace asked me as we passed some giggling freshman that were talking about some television show.

            “No… Dillon won’t even look at me now. Is it really that bad that all of this is,” I looked around then spoke under my breath when I knew that no one was listening in on our conversation. “Fake?”

            Jace nodded. “We’re talking about the guy who went on the intercom and basically banned all guys from even talking to you last year because of Sean. Remember how pissed off he was when we told him we were ‘dating?’ I think most of the anger is from what I said to him to allow us to date.”                        

            I recall the two of them having a conversation then Dillon coming in and saying it was okay much to my surprise though I was never told what was said in there. “What did you say?”

            He cleared his throat and pulled us down to a bench where we could sit at but still talk in at least a little privacy. “I told him how I liked you for years and thought I lost my chance when you and Sean started going out. I said how I’d never want to hurt you because I was just happy that you were in my arms now and how he shouldn’t split us up.”

            I was stunned for a moment at his words because they sounded so sincere. “Good lie,” I breathed out and he just nodded.

            “You can see why he’s super mad now, right?”

            “Yeah… I honestly thought that since he’s just super protective, he hated not knowing the truth about us.”

            “That’s probably a part of it but I think it’s mostly because we lied straight to his face when he thought that we were going to get married and have children,” He laughed but it was humorless.

            I want to ask him about Kayla. This moment will be perfect because neither of us was talking at the moment and I seriously wanted to know. But what if it’s not my business? Kayla might think it is but I’m hardly the one to dig into people’s person lives especially when they didn’t bring you into them. Or like I said before, what if she’s just messing with me?

            I opened my mouth to start talking but Jace beat me to the punch. “Hey, what are you doing this weekend?”

            I cocked an eyebrow up in confusion. “Probably rehearsing with Sean again, why?”