33 - Kayla's Story

Sorry it took so long, I've been freaking out about the Hunger Games movie, studying for school, doing an interview, and so many other thigns, haha. But I hope it was worth the wait! :)

__________________________

The next morning started out the same except that Jace didn’t meet us in the parking lot. Dillon was exceptionally happy and practically danced down the hallway as he was wheeling me. Was he happy that we officially made up or did something else happen? Something else involving a certain young lass named Alyssa possibly?

            We walked through the doors of the school and everyone turned to look at me with a smile. Let me tell you something, our school isn’t the biggest or the smallest so everyone almost knew everyone.

            The first thing I noticed besides the niceness of everyone? All the girls were in sweatpants with no makeup on their faces. All in all, they looked like how I had to be everyday since the fire. This was another work of Jace’s mind.

            I grinned widely as Dillon wheeled me to my locker. I grabbed my books and like a light bulb in a dark room, Lindsay came walking down the hallway and everyone’s eyes went to her. Unlike all the other girls here, Lindsay chose to wear her best clothes today. A dress that was probably designer, jewelry that screamed money, and heals so high that I knew I’d slip in them. Her makeup looked like it was done professionally along with the perfect curl of her brown hair. When she passed me, she rolled her eyes, flipped her glossy brown hair over her shoulder and then continued walking. Everyone glared at her as she retreated.

            Hey, I guess everyone can’t believe in ‘Let’s dress like Peyton’ day, can they? It’s probably against her beliefs. Her beliefs meaning how she refuses to like me just because Jace pays attention to me and not her. Yep, that sounds about right.

            A large pair of hands covered my eyes and I jumped up in surprise. “Guess who?”

            I grinned and pulled away from the hands to look at Jace. His brown hair was more tousled then usual but he still looked as handsome as always. I held out my arms for a hug and he did what I wanted. “Thanks,” I said to him when we pulled away. “It means a lot that you did something like that.”

            His light eyes sparkled, “That’s just the first thing. I have a lot more coming for you.”

            I didn’t show it but his words made something good bubble up inside of me. “Thanks for ruining the surprise, Jace,” I joked and he rolled his eyes.

            “Trust me, you’ll still be surprised. I have that affect on you.”

            I was about to respond but Dillon got to talking first. “Okay, don’t flirt with each other when I’m around. Do you have all of your stuff, Pey?” I nodded as a round of blush filled my cheeks from his words. “Good, now let’s go!”

            He wheeled me down the hallway to my homeroom and when we were halfway there, the warning bell rang meaning that we have five minutes until class began. Dillon hurried up and got there with only a minute left to spare so he ran off to get to his own class. Inside, Lauren was waving for me to join her and I took a deep breath… There was something I had to do.

            “Hi, Peyton!” She said triumphantly and she gave me a hug. Something that I didn’t notice until today was the hesitation that she had before that embrace.

            “You’re still mad at me…” I muttered then met her eyes without looking away. “About the whole Jace thing.”

            Her eyes widened and I knew that what I said was the truth. “No, I-I don’t—“