Chapter 23

Two lovers kissing outlined in gold was what the card looked like that Alycia had held up. I had figured it must’ve been the love card, which was completely obvious. A love cycle? That didn’t seem like much of a deal to me. I would’ve figured that the cycle would’ve been more about the war, more about Voldemort. Dumbledore had said that I was more important than I thought I was. A love cycle seemed to dim that light just a little bit…

“A love cycle?” I questioned as she layed the card on the table in front of her.

Alycia just nodded as she pulled another card from the top of her deck. “You have found a great love in an enemy, or who should be the enemy,” she laid that card down to the next and pulled another from the top of the deck, “but you have found a mutual attraction in a friend, a close friend.”

I took in a sharp breath of air. “You truly are a psychic.”

She grinned. “And the best.”

“But what does this have to do with the cycle?” I questioned, not totally getting her reasons for telling me exactly where I am in life because I already knew that. I needed answers and I needed them right then. If Dumbledore expected me to figure out my part in the cycle, then I needed to do it sooner rather than later.

“Did you bring the timeturner?”

I quickly jumped for the bag that Hermione had given me. I had packed everything that I needed in there, which was quite a bit including everyone else’s things. I had the special things that Dumbledore had given me in a small bag, but I wasn’t finding it. She started to tap her foot against the floor. Then I remembered that I was a witch and pulled out my wand.

“Accio blue bag!” I summoned it quite easily and pulled the timeturner out that Dumbledore had given me. “Here it is.”

I placed it on the table between us.

 She smirked and nodded her head. “That is the answer to every single question that you have spinning around under that pretty blonde head of yours.”

I looked down at the small, golden hourglass figure a little confused. “How can it? It’s just a time turner.”

“You have to see what Dumbledore set on that for you. It’ll make all the difference.”

I shook my head. She knew what was on that time turner. She was just wasting time, all my precious time. I needed to figure this out before the war, which could’ve been any day! I needed to know what the cycle was. I needed to know what I needed to do. I needed to know why I was so damn important.

“Can’t you just tell me?” I said, trying not to sound angry. “I know that you know what Dumbledore wants me to do. So, just tell me what I need to do.”

She shook her head and pushed a strand of her dark hair behind her ear. “If I told you, you wouldn’t believe me.”

“Yes, I would.” I nodded furiously. “I promise I would.”

She smiled. “You have to figure this out on your own, Courtney.”

“No, I don’t.” I stood up and pushed my chair back. “I need to know now. I don’t have time on my side. I have to figure this out before the war starts!”

She sighed and stood up as well. “Calm down, okay. You definitely have enough time to figure out this mystery. I promise.”

“How would you know?” I asked, picking up my things and putting them in my bag, pausing because I realized what I had just said.

“Listen to me, Courtney,” she said calmly and approached me. “If you just give yourself time, you can figure this out. I know you’ll figure this out.”

“Well, you have been right about everything so far,” I shrugged.

She turned around and grabbed the timeturner off the table. “Here,” she said, pointing to the top where a small knob was. “All you have to do is give it one more turn, and it’ll take you where Dumbledore wants you,” she pushed it gently into my hands. “Be patient. It’ll all come together after you figure this out,” she smiled, “by yourself.”

I nodded. “If that’s what Dumbledore wants me to do.”

“It is.”

I took in a deep breath. “Should I do it now?”

“If you wish,” she backed away slowly. “If you believe that you should.”

I look down at the timeturner in my hands. A little piece of shiny metal was exactly what I needed, and I didn’t believe it. I was still confused. I didn’t know what I was diving into, but if that’s what Dumbledore wanted me to do, then I would do it. If it was the answer to all of my questions, then so be it.

I lifted my hand and made to turn the knob. I had to be ready. I didn’t have time even though Alycia said that I did. She was a psychic, of course she knew if I did or not, but I couldn’t help but not trust her. It was time. I had to find out what was going on, what I had to stop.

My fingers were just about to touch the knob when the door slammed open, startling both Alycia and me. Who would’ve known a psychic could be startled? We both looked to see that it was Astoria, Kam, and Fred.

“We have to leave,” Kam said, reaching for me.

“Now!” Fred yelled.

There was a loud crash from the front of the house, which scared me into taking Kam’s hand. I looked back at Alycia, who waved quickly before she disappeared through a door in the back. When I looked back, I saw there was people running towards us. I squinted my eyes as Fred apperated us just before one of them grabbed onto Astoria.

Sorry for the long wait! It's been quite a while. Eight months to be exact! But I'm continuing just where Courtney and Draco left off. (: I hope it wasn't too long of a wait...well, it kinda was...I hope that it was worth it anyways. I love all of you guys! 

xxxx, 

Courtney