Chapter 19

Wedding: the ceremony in front of the whole world declaring your love for another. It’s the first day of the rest of your lives together. It’s an ending and a beginning all at once. It’s supposed to be the bonding of two hearts that are destined to be together. It’s a circle of love that’s never supposed to end.

I had never been to a wedding before. I had no idea what actually happened at weddings. Sure, my brother had gotten married only three years ago, but that was when he and our parents weren’t getting along. I was invited to the wedding, but my father wouldn’t let me go. I had so wanted to go. I had wanted to watch Alex walk down the aisle to Marcus. I had wanted to see them look into each other’s eyes as they said their vows. I wanted to see them exchange their rings.

I reflexively touched my own ring that was hanging from my neck. If this was a normal world, I might’ve been planning my own wedding at that point in time. I might’ve never kissed Ron. I might not have done a lot of things that I feel really bad about but still make my head turn. I wondered what it would’ve been like to walk down the aisle to Draco. He would be dressed in dress robes  of course and looking devilishly handsome. I would be wearing a floor touching gown with a train that was as long as my arm. Lilies and orchids would fill the room. We would invite everyone we knew. They would watch as I looked deeply into Draco’s beautiful grey eyes, completely forgetting that millions of people were in the room as I told him that I never wanted to be with another for as long as I lived.

“There’s no one but you for me, Draco,” I sighed as I continued to stare out the window. “No one.”

I then slipped the ring off of my neck and pulled it onto my finger. It felt right there. It felt complete. I only wished that I could really wear it there instead of keeping it a secret. I couldn’t wait until the war was over. I could be curled up in his arms, feeling safe and secure.

“Court?” I turned to see that Ron was standing there, staring down at the ring on my finger. “What are you up to?”

I shrugged. “Just thinking.”

I didn’t move the ring back to around my neck.

“About Draco,” he said solemnly.

I nodded. “I do love him, Ron.”

“I know you do,” he said, pressing his lips together. “You just don’t love me enough.”

I sighed and shook my head. “Ron, let’s not get into this again-“

“I understand, Court. Believe me I do,” he held his hands up. “We’re to distance ourselves because you can’t continue anything with me because you’re engaged to that fucking-“

“Ron!” I shouted.

He ran his hand through his hair. “You’re right. I’m sorry, but I’m not sorry about anything that happened between us,” he then looked towards the stairs because someone was coming up. “Just save me a dance, alright?”

“Ron,” I said, standing but he walked out of his room before I could say anything else. I settled back into my seat slowly. It hurt me to hurt him, but it was for his own good. I told him that Hermione likes him but he’s somehow got it into his head that she liked Harry.

“Courtney?”

I looked up from my hand and saw Fred standing in the doorway. I pulled the ring off my finger and slipped it back onto my neck. Tucking it into my shirt, I gave him a half smile. He had been watching me, so of course he had an odd look on his face.

“Who’s the ring from?” he asked, sitting on the floor beside me.

I looked at him but didn’t answer. If I told him, he would surely flip out on me. I decided to change the subject instead, directing the conversation him. I mean, we couldn’t talk about me all the time ever day in every conversation. It was getting pretty old.