Chapter 18

Draco’s POV

Just open me up and see that my heart has been stitched together over a dozen times. I still have pieces that are missing. The largest had been recently put back into place. Courtney. Just knowing she’s alive has given me more than half of it back. There are some pieces that will never be put back together, and it’s all because of the choices that I’ve made. Well, that and what others have decided before me.

Blaise was in pieces as well. Not as many as me, but still broken. He had been married to a woman that he would never love. He didn’t even know whether or not that he would ever see the one that he did love ever again. That’s one battle that I know can be won with time.

“I just want to be okay,” Blaise sighed as he opened the door to reveal Snape standing on the other side. “Professor Snape.”

He gave a curt nod to his student. “I would say congratulations, but I don’t believe they are in order.”  

“Thanks though,” Blaise nodded. “So, what brings you up here, sir?”

“I have come to check to see if Draco has packed his bags,” his gaze fell upon me with a small smile. “Well?”

I shook my head. “I just now read your letter, sir.”

“It’s perfectly fine, Draco. Just pack now. We’ll be leaving as soon as Blaise takes his bride back to his house,” Snape reached out and clapped his hand on Blaise’s shoulders. “Fret not, Mr. Zambini. This Death Eater knows that the battle can be won. Whether with the heart or a greater evil, we all will triumph in the end.”

Blaise smiled. “Thanks, Professor. I really needed to hear that.”

“Now, go on down and do what is expected of you. Draco and I will save you and the woman that you love. Just know that everything will be just fine.”

I smiled as he hugged Blaise. It was great to see that someone actually cared in the time that we actually needed it. I knew that my mother cared although she didn’t show it as often as she needed to. My father was a different story. He never seemed to really care, always digging the tear on my heart even bigger. The only person to actually show that she loved me, really loved me was and is Courtney. Nothing can ever change how I feel about her. I was a broken man with a paper heart until she came into my life. She jump started my heart. She made me feel alive again. She made me be who I really am. So, I’m not going to take that forgranted. Snape was right. We were going to put everything back together again. I was not going to let the good out of my life. I had enough with the bad. It had defined my whole life until Courtney showed up last year. I thought I would never see her ever again. Well, not without seeing her as a filthy blood traitor otherwise known as a Gryffindor.

She is my heart.

I was going to fix it.

I was going to hold her in my arms again.

I was going to be whole again.

Everything was going to be right with the world.

No more pain. No more sorrow.

Just me and Courtney. Nothing else matters.

“Draco,” Snape called after Blaise had gone downstairs, snapping me out of my thoughts. “Hurry,” was all that he said before following my best mate downstairs back to the hell that had become our lives.

I had no idea what his plan was, but I trusted that man with every fiber of my being. He was the reason that I believed so deeply in Courtney and I. He’s the reason why I woke up and realized that I was endangering her. My love would’ve been her downfall. It would’ve been my downfall. Just like it was Snape’s.