Chapter 3

I walked out on my mother. I didn’t even give her a chance to answer my statement.  I did need to know what that bastard had done to her to make her even think about branding herself, but I needed to cool down. I didn’t want to scream at my mother; I wanted to have a calm discussion with her. So, I walked out of the Malfoy Manor and headed for ours or what soon would be theirs. The house was empty except for the house elves doing their usual cleaning, so I bolted for my room where I found my trunk beside my bed. That’s what I needed to do. In order to calm down, I needed to pack my bag for the night. Then I could talk with Beverly before I left.

After I had placed all of my clothes that I thought I would need as well as all of my school books and stealing the tent that my dad used to set up when he took us camping and shoving them into Hermione’s sack, I sat down on the bed. That’s when the picture on my dresser caught my eye. The frame used to hold a picture of Kam and me, but that was set to the side. Instead, the picture of Draco and me at the beach was inside. I smiled as I remembered that Draco had put it in there. He had wanted me to keep the picture. I got up and took the picture out of the frame before folding it and putting it in my back jean pocket.

“Courtney?” called mom’s voice from outside my door. “Can I come in?”

I sighed. “Sure.” I needed the air to be clear with her before I left, or I would’ve been a wreck the whole time I was gone.

She smiled at me as she brought in Adeline, who also had blonde hair and blue eyes just like us. “I’m sorry you had to see that, popkin,” she said, talking to me. “You should know that I never wanted any of this. I didn’t want the mark. I didn’t want your father after I found out, but…”

She looked so sad that I just had to go over to her and take Adeline before she lost it. “Sit down, mum,” I told her and took her hand, leading her over to the bed. “Now, but what?”

“But he threatened me,” she sighed. “Voldemort, not your father. He told me that you and Adeline would be in the ground so fast that…” she started to cry. “I couldn’t take that you and Adeline were in danger. You guys are my world.”

“It’s okay, mum,” I stroked her arm as I said it. “I completely understand about making sacrifices because others will be in danger. You are not the first to have to deal with this shit, mum. Trust me.”

She looked at me through her beautiful, tear streaked eyes. “What are you talking…” she stopped midsentence to look at me. “You mean, Draco is one?”

I nodded. “Not that he wants to be,” I kissed Adeline on the forehead as she giggled at me. “His parents are forcing him into it, and you know that Draco’s always been one to be at their beck and call. He just can’t help it. He lives to please mummy and daddy.”

She shook her head. “Poor boy. I could never imagine forcing you into such a terrible fate. So, he can’t be with you?” She jumped to the reason fairly quickly. That’s where I got my quick wit from though. “Why not? You are the daughter of a fellow follower.”

I nodded. “I know, but I’m also a traitor that’s in Gryffindor. Why would they want their son with a girl who’s on the wrong side? Madness, isn’t it?”

“You two deserve each other,” she smiled as she pushed a piece of my hair behind my ear before snatching at the ring on my necklace once more. “You still have not spilled all the juicy details.”

I sighed and told her everything. “He’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me, mum. Now, I just have to wait it out.”

“That’s so romantic that he gave you his grandmother’s ring. Looks as if he knows exactly what he wants,” she smirked at me. “Just don’t have a baby,” she said, taking Adeline away from me to kiss her on the cheek, “until after this war is over. You don’t want to bring life into this world the way it is now.”

I shook my head at her. “I would never even think about it.”

She then sighed. “Well, your father and I have a meeting up at the Malfoy Mansion tonight. That means you’re watching Adeline,” she pulled her wand out of her pocket and pointed it at the door. “Accio Adeline’s bag!”

“Mum, what are you doing?” I asked, eying her oddly.

“I know why your brother was disappointed in me when I told you guys about re-marrying your father. So, I’ve decided that it’s not safe for you or her to be here a moment longer. You must leave tonight while we’re out. Promise me that you can apparate?” she looked worried as she caught the small squinted bag with an ‘A’ on it. “You can without splinching yourself, right?”

I nodded. “I have my license, mum, and that was just the first…several nights.”

“Well, I trust you,” she said giving me a kiss on the forehead before handing me both Adeline and the bag. “I’ll miss you. Promise you’ll protect her and get to your brother’s house, okay? I love you, Courtney, and I love you, Adeline,” she said before walking towards the door. “And Courtney?”

“Yes?” I said softly, not wanting to tell her goodbye.

“Don’t give up hope.”

I smiled. “I won’t, and mum?”

She turned back to me, her hand on the door knob. As you all have probably guessed, I’m not the best with emotions when it comes to my mom or my dad. My family is what you would call emotionless, except for me. That night was the most emotion that I had gotten out of my mother. Beverly Anne Flint, she was and is the most beautiful and protective mother in the wizarding world. Probably in the muggle world as well.

“I’m sorry,” I said in just a whisper.

She faintly smiled at me. “I’m the one who should be apologizing.”

“I love you,” my smile got smaller.

She waved as she closed the door with a soft click. I looked down at my baby sister, who had absolutely no idea what was going on. She had no idea that she might not ever see her mother again, but I knew in my heart that she would be just fine. Adeline had plenty of people who loved her and that would protect her. She would be just fine. I, on the other hand, probably wouldn’t be just fine. I had a job to do. Both of us would be in danger, but I was the one putting us there. It will be better for her when we get out of that house though is what I had to keep telling myself. So, an hour after my parents were gone, I slung both bags onto me and wrapped Addie in a blanket before covering both of us with the invisibility cloak. That’s when I heard a slam come from downstairs.

“Is she still here?” I heard someone ask.

I knew then that I wouldn’t be going out the front door, so I ran over to my window. I waved my wand to open it and looked down. Two stories below us was quite a fall. I closed my eyes as something hit my door. I waved my wand once more to lock the door. That would only hold them off for so long. I then stepped onto the window seal as the banging continued on my door.

“Open the door!” came a gruff voice.

That is what pushed me out the window. The door busted open as soon as I jumped for it. I pulled Addie close to my body preparing for the slam on the ground that followed. The cloak flew off of us, and I looked down. The ground was right there, and we were floating just above it.

“You idiot,” a familiar voice made me smile.

A/N: Okay. Cliffhanger! baha. You know i love you guys right? Don't forget to post your question for me on this chapter. it can be about anything. i will chose my favorites on answer them on the video i'm making for the contest results. 

Don't forget to...

Comment, Vote, & Love