Chapter 22

Draco’s POV

I hadn’t really been at peace since I left the manor. I was worried about my mum, but most of all Courtney. Mum would be fine as long as dad didn’t screw up. Courtney, on the other hand, is off God knows where during this war. I had no idea where she could be if her house was burnt down and the Burrow was practically abandoned. Severus told me that she was fine, but I couldn’t believe that unless she was wrapped inside my arms.

“Run to the ends of the Earth for her. She’s not the one that’s broken your heart. It beats in time with yours if you can hear it. Don’t be caught in the past, look towards the future. There’s a beautiful and terrible truth for you inside this envelope. Read with care and be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Good luck.”

I had reread that message so many times but hadn’t brought myself to open the envelope. What kind of instructions would I need? What did this person want me to do? If it had anything to do with Courtney, which it obviously does, then of course I’ll follow those instructions to the end of the earth and back. Anything for my Courtney. Anything to have her wrapped in my arms.

“Draco,” slashed a voice through my thoughts.

I sighed and looked up at the door. Snape was standing in the doorway with the same look on his face he’s had since I got there. Days at Spinner’s End were usually spent like that. Me, not doing what he brought me here to do, and him, constantly nagging me about what he brought me here to do. I know that I should’ve been opening that envelope and figuring out my next step in the war, but my fingers just wouldn’t move.

“Are you here to tell me that time is running out again,” I said groggily, looking back down at the envelope, “because I know it’s running out. I don’t need another reminder.”

He shook his head. “I’m sad to say that you’re time is up. I’ve given you all the time I thought you needed to build up to this mission, but now I must push you to open that letter. If not, the mission will be failed, and you’ll be too late.”

I sat up a little bit and looked down at the envelope for about the millionth time that day. “Too late for what?”

“Just open the letter,” he said, turning his back on me. “If not, you’ll surely regret it.”

He then left me alone again. My thumbs twitched. My knees started shaking. It was time. If not, I’ll regret it. That’s what Snape had sad. He’s never led me astray before, so I could trust him. If I wasn’t ready for what was about to happen, then I didn’t love Courtney. I needed to be strong whether or not the mission was good. She needed me, and I wasn’t about to fail her again. My index finger shoved its way under the lip of the envelope, waiting for my brain to send the impulse to tear it open. It stayed motionless though. Not moving a single muscle. Not even twitching like a few moments before.

“Now, Draco,” I told myself. “Do it now.”

Slowly, my index finger started to move, tearing an opening in the top. I had done it. The envelope was open, all I had to do was read what was inside. I pulled the letter out and laid it on the table before me. The mission had to be all I was about from that moment one. From the moment my eyes read the first word, I was just a little confused.

Draco,

I know that we haven’t had many civil words with each other over the years, but I’m sure we can put our differences aside and help save Courtney. We both love her dearly, you more than I I’m sure, so you should be willing to do this mission for me. I wish I could be there in person to explain this to you, but what was done had to be done. I know that you’re better than the life you’ve come to live, Draco, and this is the way out. As long as you follow my instructions, you can live your life as you please and with Courtney if you wish.

For your first task, I would like for you to visit Alycia Torrez. She will be able to fill you in on the mission details itself for if this gets in the wrong hands, the results could be dangerous. Listen to her carefully. If you miss any details that she gives you, you might not be able to complete the task at hand.

Secondly, you must retrieve an article. Alycia will know what that article is, so she will give you the second task. It is vital that you retrieve this article, Draco. If not, the cycle might go on and one or more lives could be lost, yours and Courtney’s included.

There is a circle that repeats itself Draco. If this mission is a success, then it will be broken once and for all. Love will finally triumph, and the dark side will lose once more.

I wish you all the best.

Professor Albus Dumbledore

I sat and stared at the paper. He had given me a mission without giving me a mission. I had no idea what I was supposed to do but find that Alycia girl, who I had never even heard of before in all of my life. I sighed and stood. It was to save Courtney, that’s what Dumbledore had said. I was going to do it. The mission was going to be a success. She would be wrapped up in my arms forever.

“I guess that you’ve read it?” Snape asked when I was about to open the door, a door that I hadn’t been through since I had gotten there, the door to the outside world.

I nodded and turned to him. “I’m sorry, but I must leave.”

“I understand. His missions are always more important,” he smiled.

“Thank you for everything,” I said, my hand on the door knob, itching to turn it.

“This,” Snape said, standing, “will not be the last time that you see me. After you finish your first task, you must return to the Malfoy manor. There is a meeting you must be at if you are to convince them that the time you’re spending here is worth it.”

I nodded. “I understand.”

“Best of luck then,” he said right before I closed the door on him.

A/N: Sorry once again for the long wait, but at least it's not a super short part like the last one. I'm getting back into writing like I was before, so my writing style is back and not hurried. I have an early release tomorrow from school and Thanksgiving break is next week, so I'll try to post more very soon! Thank you all for being so patient. I hope it was worth the wait. 

Oh! And good news, I have decided instead of hurring the ending, I am just going to make this series a trilogy. This one was going to be fast paced, but I just can't do that. I won't be able to tell all the details of the story that I MUST get in.

So the titles of the Drourtney Trilogy:  

Draco Malfoy's Dirty Little Secret

A Beautiful and Terrible Truth

Keeping a Promise

I hope you are all excited. I know that I am! I love you all! 

--Courtney