Chapter 9

I woke up the next morning feeling content as I could. There was still a feeling that something was wrong – missing. Ron’s arm was still wrapped around me, and I was still facing him. I smiled for a moment – only for a moment – before I thought of Draco. I honestly thought of Draco and felt guilty. I had no idea what I was doing, and I didn’t like it. I got out of bed gently so that I wouldn’t wake the sleeping ginger before walking over to my dresser where I had hung my necklace. I picked it up off the knob to the top drawer and slipped it on over my head. I smiled in relief.

I didn’t feel as empty.

I promised myself to Draco, and nothing was going to change that. Even the little attraction – or pull as I was calling it – to Ron wouldn’t change the fact that I had promised myself to another. I turned around and looked back at the slumbering red-head. We went so fast from a sibling relationship to a romantic interest that it wasn’t a wonder my head wasn’t spinning. I was still going to find out what was going on between us and why. I just would do it at an arm’s length – no matter how much I would want to just fall safely back into his arms.

I decided that it was time to patch things up with Kam to the best of my ability. I didn’t want to go back to the Burrow where I would be in close proximities with her and not be on good terms. Besides, we’re best mates. There was no way a fight would last that long between us. I was thinking that a week was our limit – or at least I hoped.

“Come in,” she lazily yelled when I knocked on her door.

I opened the door slowly and stood there with my hand on the door knob looking down at Kam, who was lying on the floor and staring up at the ceiling. She didn’t say anything or move to even see who it was, so I walked over and leaned over her.

“We need to talk,” I said, my necklace dangling and catching her eye.

“You put your promise ring back on,” she commented.

I nodded. “I felt incomplete without it. I think it was why I was kind of giving up, losing hope.”

“That and numb nuts,” she smirked. “Who I know for a fact is in your room.”

“You do?” I asked, standing all the way up as she did the same.

She nodded. “Sure. I saw him go in when I had to do my midnight pee. You know I always have to go pee at midnight or I’ll wet the bed. I think it might be a medical condition. Do you know if it is?”

“What? No, Kam. I came here to talk about us not your bladder issues,” I shook my head. “You at least have to let me explain what is going on between the two of us, and Ron will not tell you exactly what is going on. He lives in a fantasy land where he thinks we’ll end up together.”

She raised her eye brows. “He told you so?”

I nodded. “Just last night. I told him that there was a certain pull that I was having towards him, and I was going to figure out what it was and why I was having it.”

“But,” she elongated the word, “you don’t think you’re in love with him?”

I smiled at her. “No, I don’t think I’m in love with him. He’s a parachute.”

She smiled as well. “So, if you fall, he’s going to catch you, huh? I know that we talked about having backups when we were like fourteen, but I don’t think that’s living in reality, sweet cheeks.”

“I know, but I just can’t help but think of him as that.”

“I know!” she said excitedly. “We could try and make him see that he and Hermione belong together while we’re with them. We can be all sneaking and devious. It’ll be just like old times! Court and Kam together.”