Chapter 10

Draco’s POV

I sighed as I stared out the window down at the burned ruins that were the Flint Manor. I wondered why the Flints didn’t just clean it up. I tighten my fist around my curtains. It was her birthday. It was her birthday and no one even cared. There was going to be a meeting about what was going to happen over the next few weeks.

My Courtney. My beautiful Courtney. She would’ve been seventeen. She would’ve been seventeen and all mine. I took a swig of my flask that I stole from my dad. The firewhiskey that I had inside stung my throat, but it was a good feeling. It woke me up from the nightmare that I was living from for just a few moments. For a moment, I could smell Courtney. For a moment, I could feel Courtney. For a moment, I could taste Courtney. For a moment, I could see Courtney.

“I think they left the ruins there to show what could happen if you try to cross the Dark Lord,” I opened my eyes and turned to see Micah shaking his head at the sight. “I’m sorry, Mate.”

Micah and I had grown somewhat close over the two months that he, his brother, and Lila had been staying. He and I had talked about practically everything from our loves to our darkest secrets. Blaise couldn’t be there, so Micah just seemed to step up to the plate. Mitch and Lila just seemed to get closer, which bothered Micah to no end.

I sighed as he looked over at me. “Today is her birthday.”

“How beautiful was she?”

I held back some tears and looked back at the ruins. “She was the most beautiful girl I had ever laid my eyes on. Her blonde hair caressed her face like my hands would’ve. Her eyes were the brightest blue and shone just like the stars in the sky. Her full lips were the most kissable and delicious,” I paused, tears silently rolling down my cheeks. “She was perfect,” I paused and looked straight at him. “For me.”

He nodded. “Her father was a monster to take her away from you. You really did deserve her, mate, and I don’t care how much you say you didn’t. All you did for her was make sure she was safe, but even you couldn’t have protected her from him. So stop beating yourself up. I’m too lazy to do it myself if you don’t stop.”

I smiled half heartedly at him. Michael Flint would get what was coming to him. Aunt Bellatrix told me exactly what had happened before the Flint Manor burst into flames. He tortured her for refusing to go with them to the meeting, where she would’ve met Micah, her betrothed. He then killed her before setting fire to his own house by orders of our Master, who knew about us. He knew about Courtney and me, and that was all my fault. I let my feelings get in the way of my occlumacy, which I wasn’t sure how to do any more.

“Draco,” called someone from the doorway, which I turned to see Lila. “They say that it’s time for the meeting and afterwards your mother wants to discuss wedding dates. So, we better hurry,” she shrugged, her eyes glancing over at Micah. “Sorry, but you’re not allowed to attend the meeting, Micah.”

“Right,” he shook his head and laid down on my bed. “Only important death eaters only.”

I sighed. “You don’t want to be there anyway, mate.”

“Don’t I know it,” he called as he waved. “Have fun.”

I followed Lila down to the dinning room, where my mother waved me over to sit in the empty seat between her and my father. Not a seat that anyone would’ve wanted. Father was the follower that no one wanted to be associated with, especially me. I was disappointed in him for even becoming a follower but even more disappointed that me made his son one as well. It ruined my life just as much as it ruined his.

We waited for the Dark Lord to show, and when he did, we were waiting on one more. Snape showed up late, as usual. He might have been Voldemort’s right hand man, but he didn’t show the respect that he should’ve to earn that place. Not that I wanted that place. He could have it all he wanted despite that I knew the truth about him. He was personally angry with his master, not that everyone wasn’t at one point or another.