Chapter 12

Everything seemed to move in slow motion as I stood and watched Draco fall to the ground. He had a question in his eyes that had made them look sad. Tears penetrated my eyes as I looked up at my brother, who didn’t look like he cared in the slightest. I rushed over to Draco and kneeled over him. He was staring up at me with a look of confusion on his face.

“Draco,” I whispered and touched his face

“I must’ve been hit pretty hard with that stunning spell,” Draco whispered to himself before standing and looking at me properly. “Or you’re playing a trick on me, Potter.” His voice cracked with the accusation.

I shook my head but wasn’t able to say anything because someone else had appeared. I looked over to see Blaise Zambini coming out of the brush with a smirk on his face. I smiled at him, relieved that he had been the other one that was tailing us. He had his wand drawn and pointed at Marcus and with a chuckle he lowered it.

“Flint,” he said, taking another step forward. “I would’ve have thought that we would see you here. I mean, I haven’t seen you since the day before we were supposed to be branded together. I never thought that you would run off and join the other side.”

“Well, I’m full of surprises, Zambini,” my brother chuckled.

Draco and I still hadn’t broken our eye contact. I so just wanted to run up and out my arms around him and kiss him just like my aching lips wanted to. I would’ve too, but the way Blaise was looking at me stopped me right in my tracks. It wasn’t right the way he was looking at me.

“Potter, is it?” he laughed and walked up to Draco’s side. “You can’t be. I just received word that He has found the real one. So, the question is, who are you?” he eyed me just like he knew my secret.

I took a deep breath as Draco raised his wand towards me. “Whoever this imposter is, he will die tonight,” he said, his eyes leaking silent tears.

I shook my head, still not saying anything. Marcus’s eyes sent the message not to when I glanced over at him. He could tell that I wanted to just blow our cover completely. I watched as he slowly approached the back of the boys. Draco must’ve sensed it because he turned and hit him straight across the face. I gasped and my hands shot straight to my face, covering my mouth. Blaise looked at me oddly before looking back to Marcus, who was lying on the ground. He was out cold or so it seemed.

“Now,” Draco turned back to me, wand at the ready, “You are going to come with us. I don’t care who you are, but I’m done with your games.”

I shook my head and sobbed. “But I’m not playing a game.”

“It can’t be,” Blaise said, looking at me with a smile on his face.

“That’s exactly right,” Draco sneered. “It can’t be. I’ll grab the hostage, and you go get the brooms, Blaise.”

Blaise did as he was told and left us alone. I watched as Draco approached me. He didn’t seem like the old Draco. What had happened to make him so stone cold? I backed away, but he kept approaching me. I just kept walking backwards until I ran into a tree. I wasn’t exactly afraid of him, but I also didn’t want him to touch me. There was something wrong with him, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

 “You’re going to tell me who you are,” Draco put his wand to my throat, “or your life is going to end right now. I have nothing to stop me from taking your life now that mine is gone.”

Now, that scared the hell out of me.

“There’s no need to be frightened,” He breathed and pushed his body up close to mine. “I know you’re a girl, but I can’t be for sure who you are. Tell me. Now.”