The Case

I dressed for the part and decided I was going to talk to some of the families of the missing children and some of the children who may have seen anything.
I had the picture of the child in my hand and prepared myself. I rang the doorbell. Immediately, the door flew open.
"Did you find my baby?", the woman asked with red eyes.
"No, ma'm. I came to ask you a few questions. May I come in?", I asked.
"Yes, come in", she said dabbing around her eyes with a tissue.
She gestured to the couch and told me to sit. She handed me a glass of tea and I drank it because I didn't want to hurt her feelings.
"You look young", she said sitting across from me and sipping her tea.
"I'm new. But trust me, ma'm, I'll get your son back", I said closely examining the house.
"Liam", she said. She sat the fragile glass of tea on her table.
"His name is Liam, she said after taking a deep breath. "And you can call me Mrs. Ross.
"How old is your son?", I asked.
"Five."
"Where was he last seen? And with who?", I asked.
"At the playground. He walks home from school. But he never made it home that day."
"Did you notice anything strange before he disappeared?", I had to ask.
"Like what?", she sounded offended.
"Just strange behavior. Was he scared of anything?"
She took a while before she replied with an answer to my question.
"I'm sure it's nothing", she said with a short chuckle.
"Tell me", I urged.
"He spoke of this man who was watching him. You know kids, with their imaginations-"
"Why would you think he was imagining that? What if someone stalked and then kidnapped your child?", I inturrupted while beginning to think this wasn't a case after all.
"Let me finish", she said taking pain reliever.
"He said the man was half man and half tree. He said the man had tenticle like arms. He said he was taller than the house and that he was always watching. He said he wore a suit and tie and didn't have a face. I told him it was just his imagination", she said looking at me and stopping.
"Because...because that's just impossible", she finished.
I saw pictures of her son on the fireplace. I could see his fingerpaintings hung on the fridge. She was in pain.
"I'm going to find your son. I'll bring him home", I said standing.
I searched the neighborhood looking for the nearest playground to her house. I approached a few kids who sat in the woodchips, playing go fish. I sat next to them.
"Hey", I said smiling.
"Hey", the little girl said smiling back and twirling the strings on her dress.
"Do you know him?", I asked showing the picture of Liam Ross.
She giggled. "He's my friend."
"Do you know what happened to him?", I asked.
"Mommy said he went on vacation. When is he going to be back?", she stopped playing with her dress and looked into my eyes.
"I don't know. But he will be back", I locked eyes with her.
"Do you ever feel scared when you're here?", I asked.
"Only when the man comes out"
"The man?"
"The man in the trees"
"Tell me about him"
"He's tall and scary. And he comes out when it's dark. Mommy and Daddy want me home before then anyway. I saw him one time. He told me to follow him into the trees but Mommy wanted me to come home"
"He talked to you?"
A teenage boy came and snatched the girl from the conversation. I stood up.
"Are you allowed to question a child without a guardian present? I don't appreciate this. We've all been through a lot. And you better get home before it's dark", he said holding her.
"Alright. I apologize", I said.
He walked away and I decided I was going to scope out the woods before it got dark. I followed the trail that lead away from the playground and to the woods.
I stopped walking when I thought I heard something. I looked around cautiously.
I walked slower and scolded myself for not carrying a weapon on me. Just before I entered the huge abyss of trees, a hand went over my mouth and I was thrown onto the ground.