Chapter Forty-Five (The End)

Jessica stepped out of the truck and onto the gravel her weigh causing the stones to crunch under her feet. Her eyes stayed glued to Danny as he stood under the porch the light rain sounding heavy against the tin of the roof. Danny watched as she stood in the rain just behind the passenger door of the white Ford.

"Jessica are you crazy get back in the truck." George yelled just as she slammed the door never taking her eyes from Danny. Danny dropped his arm from its resting position over his head and watched as Jessica's hair began to droop from the rain. He placed both his hands in his pockets taking a few slow steppes towards her. When he reached the end of the porch she could see his face and her heart lurched in her chest. Her mouth was dry and she couldn't speak.

"Jessie come on get in the truck its raining. Do you want to get sick?" George shouted across Anne to her. Anne grabbed his hand pushing him back in the seat as she looked out at Jessica.

"Let her go." She whispered.

Danny started down the stairs to her and she moved towards him slowly unknowingly holding her breath. The rain started to fall harder dancing against Jessica's skin as she stood with her lips slightly parted breathing in the open air around her. Her hair was now drenched and hung in strings across her shoulders. Danny stepped into the rain wetting his white shirt and jeans, small beads formed on his face by the time her reached Jessica. He stood about five feet in front of her she had traveled away from the truck and now stood in front of it about twenty feet. George watched in aw from the truck as Danny cocked his head water now running down his face.

"Jessica?" he questioned not sure if she knew what had happened.

"You stayed." she remarked in a monotone voice her face holding its blank expression.

Danny looked away for a moment and then back at her once more. "Of coarse I stayed Jessica."

She looked at him for a moment not saying a word. Danny wanted so desperately to hold her, to kiss her, anything, but he knew by the way she stood in front of him that she wasn't ready for that.

"Jessica I just-"

She cut him off before he could continue. "No Danny don't. You don't get to do this. You don't get to act like nothing ever happened. You don't get to make me feel like this."

Danny looked at her confused. "What are you talking about Jessica. I'm not doing anything to you. What do you mean make you feel this way? What way?"

"Like this, like... like you never left me. Like there are butterfly's in my stomach and I cant breath. Like my heart is racing out of my chest. Like my knees are weak and I cant stand on my own. Like I cant speak. Like I couldn't live another day with out you. Like I... like I love you."The words fumbled from her lips as tears mixed with the rain on her flushed cheeks.

Danny stepped fast towards her and Jessica held up her hand pushing him away.

"No!...You don't get it do you?" She looked up at him his eyes burning into her like hot steel. "I screamed for you Danny. I screamed for you and you left me. You left me alone, you broke every promise you ever made to me and you left." She cried harder her voice cracking under the strain. "I needed you and you weren't there for me. God damn it!" She turned away from him for a moment frustrated that she was crying in front of him.

Pivoting swiftly on her heals she tightened her fist and punched him in the chest with every ounce of strength she had left. Danny stood still looking over her head as she punched him again and again. George reached for the door handle as he watched her trow the first punch.

"No." Anne grabbed him. "Let her handle it Danny has her now."

Jessica cried harder as she pounded his chest over and over again and Danny stood still he wobbled slightly with each blow but he never made any attempt to move.