A Face-Off

"So, big sis. How did your day go?"

Touka opened her mouth and let out a long, loud yawn. "I'm exhausted." Touka sighed and blinked the exhaustion off her eyes. "I guess it was fine, nothing special in school today." Touka shrugged dismissively and looked at Hinami. They were walking back to Anteiku from the bookstore, since Hinami wanted to buy a couple of books again. Hinami was observing her newly bought books with a big smile on her face. "You happy with them?" Touka asked her softly. "Very!" Hinami replied right away with a cheerful tone. "Thanks big sis!" She smiled warmly. Touka smiled back, and then looked away. "Good. Because I'm not going to buy you anymore for quite a long time!" Touka smirked, and felt Hinami gasp in horror. "Whaaa- You wouldn't do that!" Hinami glared at her. "You bet I will." Touka lied and snickered as Hinami's eyes widened in horror. "I'm just kidding. Of course I'll buy books for you, you little rascal." Touka messed up Hinami's hair, the girl let out a sigh of relief and smiled. "But I'm not made out of money. So don't ask me for too many. You know I have plans for Kamii." Touka raised a brow. Hinami rolled her brown eyes, and giggled. "You won't go to Kamii unless you buy me my books!" She snickered. "Haha, you wish." Touka shook her head softly and smiled.

They walked for a few more minutes, Touka brought her umbrella out as she felt drops come from the sky and land on her nose. Shaking the drop off, she reached for her umbrella and grabbed Hinami's right hand with her free hand. "Wow..It hasn't rained for long." Hinami said, but then her cheerful expression faded as a dark memory flashed before her eyes. Touka knew exactly what memory she just had, stopping Touka turned to Hinami, bringing Hinami closer, she hugged her. "It's okay Hinami. Everyone is here for you." Hinami nodded, wrapping her hands around Touka and closed her eyes tightly, trying to not let tears escape her eyes. "I know...I just...I miss her so much.." Hinami whispered. "We all do Hinami.." Touka told her softly, then separated and smiled warmly at her. "You have to be brave for both your dad and mom though. Right?" Hinami wiped her eyes with her hands and nodded, smiling at Touka weakly. "That's right. Come on now. Let's get back so you can start on your books." Hinami smiled and nodded. "And you can continue on your studying!" Hinami teased. Touka's smile was replaced by a frown when Hinami said that. "Wooo, how fun." Touka rolled her eyes. Hinami giggled, making Touka smile softly.

Suddenly Hinami raised her head and sniffed the air. "What are you doing? Playing doggy?" Touka teased, certain that there were no dangers around here. "No. Just-Something smells odd." Hinami replied, continuing to smell the air. Hinami stopped and looked around, Touka didn't know what she was looking for. All she saw were pedestrians, Touka turned to Hinami. "What does it smell like?" She asked. "I'm getting the smell of ghoul.." Hinami's voice started to get worried, she then spun around and looked at Touka. "Can't you smell? There's a ghoul around here." Hinami whispered. Touka looked around and sniffed the air herself, she couldn't really pick up anything because of the rain. "No. I don't smell ghoul at all-" Hinami gripped her wrist and pulled Touka away. "Hinami, I don't smell-"

"Just follow me!" Hinami hissed. Touka mid-sentence and gazed at Hinami with suspicious eyes. They walked over to an alleyway, Touka didn't think this would be a good idea, they would be caught by whoever they were running from. Hinami didn't say anything, she just led Touka through the alleyways. "Hinami, this isn't a good idea. We should've gone to Anteiku. And-" Hinami then let go of Touka's wrist. "I-I don't know what this smell is...but it doesn't smell good.." Hinami looked at Touka with wide eyes. "I-I smell ghoul...but also something else..." Hinami then tugged at her hair and shook her head. "I smelled this on big bro the other day!" Hinami hissed under her breath. Touka blinked. Shocked at the fact that Hinami had seen Kaneki and not her. "What-What did you smell?" Touka brushed the anger towards herself away and asked Hinami. "I-I don't know how to explain it..." Hinami shook her head and then looked up. Flinching and taking a step back at what she saw. Touka turned around slowly and narrowed her eyes at the three faces she met.