A Rebellious Phase

"Wha-"

Kaneki woke up in a jolt. Panting, he reached his hand up for his face, soon feeling it wet with sweat. "Ugh.." He groaned as he dropped his hand back to his side. By the looks of it, he woke up way too early. Again. Closing his eyes, he tried to go back to sleep, but to his disgrace it had vanished once he had woken up. "Damn it.." He really wished he could go back to sleep. Sitting up, he looked at his side and found Touka sleeping.

Luckily, he hadn't woken her up. He took a good look at her. Seeing her breath softly, calmed him down a bit. But she didn't have such a peaceful expression like all the time. Her expression was a mix of fear and anger, she was arguing whether to curl up or lie down straight. So she was twitching slightly. She didn't want to go to her own room last night so she insisted on sleeping with him. It was obvious she was stressed out after their discovery, it's been a whole day since they discovered that. Kaneki wanted to comfort her as best as he could but he didn't want to wake her up. So he slowly reached out for her and placed his hand on her head, running it softly in her hair.

Touka stopped twitching, her expression faded slightly and was replaced with a small one of relief and comfort. Smiling softly that he had managed to comfort her at least a small bit, Kaneki got closer to her and planted a small kiss on her cheek. Her expression was completely replaced with a peaceful one after that and she let out a small relieved sigh. Luckily, she hadn't woken up. "Try and not think about it okay?" He whispered. "It's-" He didn't want to say it. Because he knew that it could or could not be true. He didn't want to say everything was going to be okay. "Never mind." He mumbled. Getting out from bed, Kaneki turned to look at the stairs leading downstairs to the coffee shop.

I can't go back to sleep, nor do I want to wake Touka, or Hinami...so what else is there to do?  With a sigh, Kaneki walked over to the stairs and headed downstairs. As quietly as he could. To his surprise, the lights from the counter were on. He then saw two familiar faces sitting next to each other. Kaya and Enji.

"I really don't mind going anyway." Kaneki managed to hear from Enji.

"But, still. I don't want to leave just yet-" Kaya then stopped and looked over her shoulder. "Oh, Kaneki." Enji turned to look at him too. A small smile appeared on the black haired woman's face. "What are you doing up so early?" She said softly. Sounding almost like a mother. Enji chuckled. "You're acting like a mother to the young man, Kaya." Kaya chuckled back softly. Kaneki looked at her with sad eyes. "No, it's okay.."

"Oh, really?" Kaya tilted her head slightly.

"Yeah, it's fine.."

Kaya then blinked at him, her eyes then filling with sympathy. Enji then smiled softly. "Couldn't sleep?" Kaneki shrugged and nodded. "Hm, I don't blame you." The man said. "Touka's asleep though, right?" Kaya asked him, her tone with a hint of worry. "Yeah, she's asleep." Kaneki replied. Kaya let out a relieved sigh and then got up from her seat. "Want a cup of coffee?" She asked Kaneki. "That would be nice." He shrugged. Enji then patted a seat to his left, beckoning Kaneki to come and take a seat. Kaneki slowly walked over to the seat and sat down, looking down at the counter. "I think you caught an idea on what we were talking about-" Enji then moved his gaze to him. "Right?"

Kaneki remembered what he had heard. But judging on what was happening at this time, he knew it. "I think I do." He said quietly. Enji nodded. Kaneki then looked up at Kaya, who right that moment put his cup down.

"You don't need to go." Kaneki blurted out.

Kaya's hand started trembling, she placed the cup down finally, spilling a bit of coffee. "Kaneki, y-you can't do anything about it." Kaneki narrowed his grey eyes and looked at Enji. "I can fight them, you know I can. I can do-"